Finishing Previously Painted Cinder Block And Concrete - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-08-2013, 09:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Finishing previously painted cinder block and concrete

When we moved into our place 15 years ago we simply painted white over the interior walls of our basement. To be honest I can't remember what type of paint we used.

I'd now like to undertake a complete renovation of our basement.

For size reasons I want to avoid installing drywall so I am looking at my options for finishing the painted cinder block and poured concrete walls.

I'd like to get a reasonably smooth white finish and maintain as much interior space as I can, so I am not looking for thick or textured coatings. What counts for me is relative speed and efficiency - I've not done this before but am quite handy but I have so many other things to do down there I don't want to eat up an extraordinary amount of time making the walls look mirror polish smooth. Pretty darn smooth and getting rid of the bulk of cinder block glop and runny paint trails will be good enough.

The ceilings will need doing as well, and we have a bunch of pipes up there so I am dealing with hangers etc. For what its worth I live in Switzerland, so the interior here does not have wooden joists - the ceilings, walls and floors are all concrete.

Thanks,

Dave M

Advertisement

dave_in_gva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,472

chances are good you used a water-bas'd latex - remember how you cleaned the brushes ? water ?

i'd suggest blockfiller paint - an extended latex product,,, brush, roller, OR pump ( not spray )

you can color it or paint a covering coat after its dry

when you'd finally done, stand on the roof & yodel back to us altho pictures might be better for a few our hearing-challenged members

Advertisement

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stadry For This Useful Post:
dave_in_gva (03-09-2013)
Old 03-09-2013, 01:37 AM   #3

Yeah, definitely would have been water based and likely just a cheap latex.

So no parging? Some of the surfaces are pretty irregular....

D
Old 03-09-2013, 06:51 AM   #4

dunno - can't see from even here standing on my roof
Old 03-09-2013, 10:03 AM   #5

Here's some snaps from my phone. The part of the wall supporting the staircase has dips where the cinder blocks were cut that are around 1" deep.

I'm not against doing a bit of work to smooth things out, I do want a good looking wall as the final product. Just want to get steered towards using the most efficient, hassle free method. Unfortunately I cant go to Home Depot etc here, so rather than product names more helpful for me to have guidance around the right kind of stuff.

Dave M
Attached Thumbnails
Finishing previously painted cinder block and concrete-img-20130309-00006.jpg   Finishing previously painted cinder block and concrete-img-20130309-00008.jpg  
Old 03-09-2013, 10:37 AM   #6

here's the thing,,, how do you successfully have any parge stick to a painted surface ? vert block jnts could be filled w/paintable caulk part then finish the whole thing w/block filler which can be textured IF you use a long nap roller,,, the form board jnts could be stoned down w/conc rubbing bricks.
The Following User Says Thank You to stadry For This Useful Post:
dave_in_gva (03-09-2013)
Old 03-09-2013, 01:21 PM   #7

Thanks....yeah that's kind of what I was worried about. Everything I've been reading about parging suggests people are doing that on untreated concrete, and I've read that the Portland cement in the parge mix needs to bond with the concrete substrate.

That's why I titled this thread as I did 'cause I am kind of thinking that our quick treatment when we first moved in just to have the basement look a little brighter may now be complicating things in trying to do a complete reno.

I get what you are saying about filling the cracks around the blocks with caulk. But what are you calling block filler? They will have different trade names over here but what kind of a material is this? Any trade names that come to mind, that way I can check them out and see whats inside and how it works and figure out what I can get over here.

Tx again,

Dave
Old 03-09-2013, 03:58 PM   #8

QUIK = CHEAPER, better = ( $$$ ), & renovation = ( $$$ ) X ?

we just call it ' block filler paint ' as in ' just gimme a 5gal pail of block filler ! '

try a small grinder w/diamond cup wheel - beware, tho LOTS of dust so try to rent 1 w/dust shroud & vacuum hookup

here's a thought - make friends w/a tradesman OR GOOD supply house,,, even if it costs a few francs, its well worth them

will be in chaumonix & gstaad next winter if you can wait

Advertisement