Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-03-2014, 01:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Finishing basement interior walls, need some advice

hi,
i am building my own house, and its the first one i have done, i am now beginning work on the basement area, that i need to have a "finished" basement. question is, is there any concerns with mold or mildew with a brick half wall then drywall on the top section? the main wall is a 8" block wall, have a sealer coating on outside,and then tar on top of that, backfilled with drains at the bottom of the wall. my plan was to brick the bottom 3-4 ft and put an air vent on either side so as air can circulate behind the wall.

also what i have been reading is the correct way nowadays is to put up the styrofoam directly on the block wall with glue and then frame in front of that, however if doing that i wont be able to connect the brick "the normal way" any ideas on this? thanks alot.
p.s. i would be alright with drywalling the entire wall, i just was thinking the brick might be a better solution with the dampness/longivity. thanks again

z28camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:13 PM   #2
Rob

Rewards Points: 520

Put foam in 2 feet high run brick up two feet put wall ties in above foam- put next piece of foam cut to where wall ties will be near top coarse. If it is damp it doesn't matter what you use to build it won't stop the dampness but brick will last longer. A dehumidifier will help.

Robpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

That may work, "and put an air vent on either side so as air can circulate behind the wall"----- no. Check with local AHJ or Fire Marshall.

Gary
PS. Welcome to the forums!
Old 04-04-2014, 08:21 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

thanks for the replys. i dont think i will have a water issues through the wall, im thinking it will if anything sweat between the wall and framing wall. thats why i was saying maybe using a venting method.
i have also seen people installing foam insulation on the concrete floors and then using decking boards spaces at 16" on top, and then 3/4 osb for a sub floor, what do you guys think of this?
z28camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:43 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

You cannot vent an interior cavity without fire-blocking installed. Foamboard requires an ignition barrier unless foil-faced and accepted by AHJ. Where are you located?

Foam/plywood for a floor on slab has been discussed here a dozen or so times, some links I use; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...ms?full_view=1

http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...g-your-basment

http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...ms?full_view=1

Hope those help...

Gary