DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Concrete, Stone & Masonry (http://www.diychatroom.com/f105/)
-   -   Fill Sewer Outlet Hole in Foundation Wall (http://www.diychatroom.com/f105/fill-sewer-outlet-hole-foundation-wall-173500/)

Catalina Eddy 03-03-2013 02:57 PM

Fill Sewer Outlet Hole in Foundation Wall
 
I have an older home that has a formed opening in the raised foundation wall thru which the sewer line passes. New construction would have cored a hole for this pipe, but this is an opening about 6"below grade, 12" wide and running down to the base of the foundation (or beyond). Exposed pipe is half set in dirt fill with about 10" of open area at the top of the opening.

I'm attempting to stop water intrusion into the crawlspace area. An obvious point is here, where I'm thinking I should better plug this opening.

One thought is to excavate the dirt in the cut beneath the pipe & fill the void with cement. Sewer pipe is cast iron & old. Should I be concerned with wrapping or sleeving (with a split sleeve) filled with expansion foam or ? I am in search of advice as to how others might approach this project.

joecaption 03-03-2013 03:04 PM

Post a picture so we can see what your seeing.

Catalina Eddy 03-03-2013 03:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK...pic of project/problem as viewed from outside structure looking in towards crawlspace.

joecaption 03-03-2013 03:45 PM

If that's old steel pipe do yourself a big favor and replace all it before doing anything.
At some point it will collaps, and by now it's closed up on the inside which will cause clogs.

Catalina Eddy 03-03-2013 07:26 PM

With all due respect, that still leaves the 'how best to seal the hole' question. I realize that the cast plumbing has reached end of service life. All it takes is time, labor & $$$. It's the latter that I'm short at the moment. Plenty of the former.

TarheelTerp 03-03-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catalina Eddy (Post 1129268)
With all due respect, that still leaves the 'how best to seal the hole' question.

concrete fill with mortar parging and then coated with tar

but with 80% of the job open... open the other 20% too
then do the pipe work as well

Catalina Eddy 03-04-2013 11:48 AM

Thank you both for taking the time to read & respond. Cement & parge it is.
Looking at the cast iron pipe replacement, between excavation out to septic and looking back inside crawlspace there's not much in the way of 'good' pipe surface to join to before hitting the vent stacks. So, I'm looking at virtually complete waste line replacement. Should be a hoot.

TarheelTerp 03-04-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catalina Eddy (Post 1129688)
Cement & parge it is.

and tar below grade

Quote:

cast iron pipe replacement, between excavation out to septic...
Not ALL of the pipe... just what you're about to encase in 'crete
and what is reasonably accessible under the house the (10 feet or so )

If that exposes other problems farther down the line? deal with it.

Catalina Eddy 03-04-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TarheelTerp (Post 1129701)
and tar below grade

Roger that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TarheelTerp (Post 1129701)
Not ALL of the pipe... just what you're about to encase in 'crete
and what is reasonably accessible under the house the (10 feet or so )

If that exposes other problems farther down the line? deal with it.

And this'll have to migrate over to the plumbing forum at this point. Problem with replacing a section of this line is that the whole thing has surface corrosion to the point that I doubt that I can grind or otherwise smooth the mating surface in order to get a Fernco coupler to hold tight. So..that's why I'm considering replacement of the whole line, or at least as much as feasible w/o tearing out walls.

24" crawl space. If I can find the $$$ I might as well knock it out now. Ain't getting any younger. Five more years & I might not be able to get into that crawlspace. Amazing what you can find that needs doing when you are just trying to paint a house.

Thanks again.

joecaption 03-04-2013 04:16 PM

PVC pipe is cheap compaired to the hassle on having that drain fail.

TarheelTerp 03-04-2013 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catalina Eddy (Post 1129775)
Problem with replacing a section of this line is that the whole thing has surface corrosion...

The surface rust is the least of the problems.

Quote:

Amazing what you can find that needs doing when you are just trying to paint a house.
Either leave it be until you're psychologically prepared to deal...
or are at some point forced to deal... or do it right (now).

Just don't encase the old pipe.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:51 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved