Fastening A Subfloor To Concrete - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-12-2012, 11:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Fastening a subfloor to concrete

Hello,

I am about to fasten plywood to 1/3 strapping (styrofoam between strapping) overtop of a plastic 'dimpled' membrane to a concrete slab floor.

My question is what fastener to use? masonry nails? Tapcon screws? Anchors? Masonry nals with a piece of solder wire?

To follow up that question is the process in which I perform this activity. Hammer drill, masonry drill bit...

Any advice on this is GREATLY appreciated.

Advertisement

shorteared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 680

I've had the best luck with the holding power if a Tap Con screw. I predrill the wood then hole it up to the wall and drill through the wall with a Bosch Bulldog hammer drill. I drive the screws with a Ryobi impact driver.
Personaly I install the foam board to the wall first with constrution adhesive and install the slats after. I use strips of Advantech not 1 X 4's because they tend to split when the screws go in.
I install a 6" wide piece along the bottom first, 1/2" up off the floor, then a 4" wide piece across the top, last I install the slats every 16".
The bottom piece is so there's a good place to install the baseboard, and up of the floor so it will not wick up water.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:03 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Thanks for the reply,

Are you using a rotary hammer drill? I have heard that they differ from "a normal hammer drill"

Also, how far into the concrete should I go? I appreciate the help!
shorteared is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basement , concrete , nail , screw , subfloor