Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-16-2012, 07:25 PM   #1

Share |

Exterior Stone Foundation Parging/Sealing

Hello All. I just had the side of my house dug out and we put in a concrete driveway. The driveway looks great, but the digging has left the side of my foundation exposed. I have had a few suggestions from people around town, but none of them seem like they will hold up. I am looking for an effective way to parge or seal the exterior of the foundation. What has me troubled is the fact tht it is VERY uneven and has recesses that are pretty deep. I am just looking for some suggestions on what my options are. Thanks!

I attached a pic of the exterior for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Exterior Stone Foundation Parging/Sealing-wp_000927.jpg  

jmack17m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:03 PM   #2

Sorry water proofing is just not going to happen with that mess.
You need a whole new foundation.
Is that sandstone?

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:28 PM   #3

You need to parge a couple coats of portland on there and fill every void possible until you have a flat like surface. The go buy some "DRYLOCK" concrete waterproofer. Coat several times. This will prob be you best chance of keeping water away without having to redo the who job. GOODLUCK
TRUEPRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:41 PM   #4

@JoeCaption - It is fieldstone/sandstone. I had a building inspector out to look at the foundation and he assured me that it's structurally sound. It is just uneven is all. Water doesn't really even get near the wall, so I'm just looking for a way to make it look OK and not have the parging break apart in a year.

@TRUEPRO - Thanks for the tips! I suppose I'll give that a shot and see where I stand.

I'll try and post pics if I'm successful.

Thanks for the insight guys.
jmack17m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:51 PM   #5

Do several thin coats. Perhaps look into a bonding agent to add to the portland mix. Dont try to go to thick because the mud will sag and leave you with ripples. Trial and error with the sand/portland mix. Should be close to 1:1:3 Portland/bucket of water/Sand
TRUEPRO is offline   Reply With Quote