Exterior Sidewalk Wall To Wall Between 2 Houses - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-22-2012, 10:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Exterior Sidewalk Wall to Wall Between 2 Houses

Greetings!
I am looking to pour a sidewalk between two houses and the sidewalk will be wall to wall so I have no room to walk after pouring. The width is 4ft 8inches and the length is 48 ft. I will likely apply 4 inches of gravel and 4 inches of concrete. The concrete will be 32MPA with air and fiber mesh. I will use expansion edges up against each wall. I would like to have a broom finish, apply an edge along the walls and use a grooving tool to add control joints every 4-6 feet.
My question is this; how can I finish the concrete, ie broom finish, edging and control joints, if its wall to wall concrete? Is it possible to do these things after the concrete has set enough to be able to walk on it? If so then any idea roughly how long it would need to set? Also I was thinking I could use 3/4 inch ply to stand on help support my weight as I go.

Has anyone here done this before. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Advertisement

TenToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 620

48' is a long way to reach out, even if your arms are long.

I honestly can't think of how to do this. You're going to have a difficult time to pour it and screed it, let alone float and trowel it.

The only thing I can think of is to run some planking down the side of one of the houses. In order to do this, you are going to have to install some brackets to the side of the house, lets say 9 1/4 deep. Better to have two 2x10's to walk on, as low as possible.

You could install some brackets which extend out about 18, every 4 feet or so, about 1' above the concrete. Have to keep them out of the way of the screed.

You could pour and screed in the concrete, then get up on the planking to float and trowel, then come back down and broom it. The time will be spent on your knees, and you'll have to reach down under the planking.

I'd like to be there to see this happen.

Run away from this job if you can.

Advertisement

cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:33 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,470

Finish it as you go.