Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-28-2012, 07:47 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Exterior concrete wall finishing questions

Hi all,

I've purchased a house which was unfinished and has been vacant for about 2 years. I would say the house is 99% complete with most of the work required is around the perimeter of the house (toward the rear of the house, see pictures). I've done a lot of work on various homes through out the years, but this is the first home that I am faced with such a large exterior concrete wall. The concrete wall is the basement and as you can see from the rear picture, it is a good 8' high.

The all of the concrete walls that I have questions about, have 2" rigid foam insulation (the walls are not insulated on the inside and the basement is unfinished). My questions is, what is the best and most cost effective approach to finish the concrete walls in such a way that it will nicely blend in with the hardwood siding already on the house?

The house is located in an area where we have harsh long winters (not hot summers thankfully!). Anyway, I was leaning towards installing flashing behind the existing wood siding and then installing cement board siding (i.e. hardi plank). The other option I was thinking, which is what my wife wants to do is install flashing behind the wood siding, install a stone sill at an angle to divert water and finish the concrete wall with stone veneer.

I like the stone veneer idea as well, I think the house would look amazing with it, however, how do I go about installing it on top of the rigid foam?

Yet another idea is to match the existing hardwood siding and finish the walls with it leaving about one and a half feet off the ground to be finished with stone veneer.

Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/15/sideview1d.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...ideview2r.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/3/rearview2.jpg/

jsalzer is offline   Reply With Quote