Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-16-2014, 04:21 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

extending concrete pool deck

I'm in the process of extending a concrete pool deck towards a slope. I have a few questions.

My first dilemma is trying to decide whether to build a traditional cinder block retaining wall or use gabions to address the slope before pouring the slab to extend the pool deck.

If I use gabions is it ok to pour a slab on top of it?

If I go the cinder block route, should the slab sit inside of or on top of the retaining wall. Also should the retaining wall have drainage even though it will be covered by a slab?

fatboyelroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:18 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,022

While I've never seen a slab on top of a gabion, that's not to say it isn't done but I think an engineer would be the one to answer your question as opposed to a layman on a DIY forum, there is one here Daniel Holzman that may see your question and jump in.

Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:43 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 576

That doesn't look like enough elevation drop require the use of gabions. It looks like the elevation change is <2'. If that's the case I would pour a stub wall to the frost line depth and then pour the slab onto the top of it.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:28 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
That doesn't look like enough elevation drop require the use of gabions. It looks like the elevation change is <2'. If that's the case I would pour a stub wall to the frost line depth and then pour the slab onto the top of it.
No frost line to worry about here in Costa Rica . Are there any advantages to pouring a stub wall vs a cinder block wall?

Last edited by fatboyelroy; 06-16-2014 at 11:47 PM.
fatboyelroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:56 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 576

A stub wall will be much more stable in the long run and will be much better at resisting the pressure of the fill pressing it outward! If you use cinderblocks you are still going to have to fill them and put in a foundation to stabilize them.