Existing Poured Concrete Foundation -- Need Decorative Ideas - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2013, 05:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Existing poured concrete Foundation -- Need decorative ideas

We built our home at the beginning of this year with a poured concrete foundation (With the brick etching on one side). We have planned to improve the exterior appearance of the street-side walls but haven't been able to decide what to do. Like all new home builders, we've basically expended all of our available funds and we are trying to figure out the most economical way to do about 600 sq ft of [insert recommended product here]. I was thinking of doing brick but we do not have a brick ledge so that's basically out.
Two sides of the home have only about 18" of exposed foundation. The third side of the home that we want to improve has just about 8' of foundation exposed across its entire length (this, of course, is the expensive part of this project). If we were to do it over, I probably would have framed this wall and used vinyl siding but it's certainly too late to do that now.

Anyway, I'm considering fake stone, real stone (too expensive), other synthetic products, fake brick (like the ones that are only half an inch thick or whatever), parging it, stucco, and pretty much anything else that someone may suggest. I plan to do this work myself and I would really like to do it for less than $5 a square foot (I'm not terribly sure whether this is practical or not, but I'd love to be able to do it). I really want a product that can adhered to the foundation without further prep work just to minimize on some of the labor effort but that's not a requirement.

I'm open to all suggestions that people may have. Thank you so much!

I attached a picture from while the house was still being built to show that one long, exposed wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Existing poured concrete Foundation -- Need decorative ideas-img_3997.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by wackerfire; 08-11-2013 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Typo
wackerfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Where are you located? You might want to update your profile with basic geographic information.

Rather than the fififoofoo faux materials, you might look into the real brick or stone veneers. You have to be sure and use the special mortar/grout mix (yes I know grout is usually an interior term but I seem to remember the manufacturer's referring to the mix as a cross between mortar and grout) between them. I would be somewhat concerned if you lived somewhere with a deep freeze winter.

Hopefully a mason will chime in here.

Advertisement

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:18 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,164

I applied a faux stone product to my home in the western suburbs of Chicago 30 years ago using regular mortar,and when i was there 2 weeks ago it looked just like it did when it was applied.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:10 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Again we may be talking about different faux products. Some of that stone and brick material made from compressed vermiculite or whatever is quite nice and it is hard to tell until you are on it.

I guess my bias is against the imprinted or whatever plywood (or other substrate material) with stone or brick pattern vinyl over it.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:47 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,164

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Again we may be talking about different faux products. Some of that stone and brick material made from compressed vermiculite or whatever is quite nice and it is hard to tell until you are on it.

I guess my bias is against the imprinted or whatever plywood (or other substrate material) with stone or brick pattern vinyl over it.

Yes back then it was called cultured stone and was made from a light weight compressed material,hard to tell from a distance it was man made.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:54 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
Yes back then it was called cultured stone and was made from a light weight compressed material,hard to tell from a distance it was man made.
They made boulders, with lichen and everything, out of the stuff too (but more textured and less compressed) and it was marketed under the name "Featherock". It was very sharp and hard to handle but looked quite real. I plunked boulders into landscapes and clients told me people asked them how they got the rocks in the place.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:09 PM   #7
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,144

If you're looking to completely cover the brick pattern, parging/plastering is going to be the cheapest DIY solution. It would likely cost less than $1.00 per sq. foot to do yourself, but it will take some work to make it look decent. You'll undoubtedly need a least 2 coats to hide the brick pattern.

For comparison, there's cultured stone available generally for $5-$7 a sq. foot retail for material only, add in mortar for grout and attatchment.

Real thin sawn brick (generally 1/2" thick) can be found for about $7-$8 a sq. foot, again add in in mortar.

Real thin sawn stone can be had for as cheap as $5-$7 a sq. foot HERE, but can vary in price vastly by region and supplier, and is far more complicated to work with.
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:15 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

Thank you for the updtes thus far. I'm located near Fredericksburg, VA.

I'm really amazed at how expensive thin brick is. That was definitely one of my initial thoughts but I can't get over its cost. What about some sort of engineered panel like dryvit or something? Also not cheap, I'm sure. This brings me back to parking and painting it. Seems like the only feasible under $5 option.

Any other ideas?

Advertisement

wackerfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brick , concrete , foundation , masonry , stone