Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-16-2012, 09:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Efflorescence on Top of Chimney

Hi,

This winter I have noticed efflorescence on the top portion of my chimney. The top six rows were rebuilt two years ago. I didn't notice it last year, but perhaps I just didn't see it.

Oddly, it seems to be confined to the portion that was rebuilt, as you can see from the photos. ( The two bricks in the lower left were individually replaced ). Also there seems to be a little more towards the back.

Small grey spots in the mortar are places where I did some touch up on the mortar.

My first thought was that warm moist air is moving up from inside the house and coming through the brick at the top. I had a wood stove insert installed. In order to make it fit, they had to open up a row of fire brick. The hole was filled with Roxul insulation.

As you can see, there is a metal flashing that should be keeping everything dry.

Should there be weep holes this high up on the chimney ?

Is the efflorescence the result of new brick and mortar ? Thus why it is not appearing on the old brick.

Thanks for experienced advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Efflorescence on Top of Chimney-chimney000887.jpg   Efflorescence on Top of Chimney-chimney000888.jpg   Efflorescence on Top of Chimney-chimney000889.jpg   Efflorescence on Top of Chimney-chimney000890.jpg  

Mike Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 0

Efflorescence on Top of Chimney

You really need someone who knows about chimneys !

Nice pics.

TBickerton is offline   Reply With Quote