Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-09-2012, 06:18 PM   #1

Share |

easy way to find out thickness of basement floor (conrete)?

I had to drill a hole in my basement floor (concrete) for a project. I was shocked when I drilled through the concrete so quickly. What's a quick and easy way to determine the actual thickness of the concrete slab?

Last edited by anuvanoob; 06-10-2012 at 01:17 PM. Reason: corrected misspelling of concrete (conrete)
anuvanoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuvanoob View Post
I was shocked when I drilled through the concrete so quickly.
What's a quick and easy way to determine the actual thickness of the concrete slab?
thickness will vary

TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:28 PM   #3

Quote:
I had to drill a hole in my basement floor (concrete) for a project. I was shocked when I drilled through the concrete so quickly. What's a quick and easy way to determine the actual thickness of the concrete slab?

There's no quick,easy,or cheap way to do that,only way i know of is to core it,but basement floors can be 3-5 inches.
Canarywood1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:10 PM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
Ayuh,.... Ya just Did it,...

Measure the drill bit, 'n note the depth it pushed through...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:35 AM   #5

The quick & easy way I determined the actual thickness was by bending the end of a paper clip into a small hook, sticking it through the drilled hole, fishing for the bottom of the slab, marking where the paper clip meets the top of the slab, removing the clip and then measuring from the bottom of the mark to the top of the hook's end. Its 3/4". Yes, that's three quarters of one inch. That worries me. Anyhoo, that method worked great!
Old 06-10-2012, 06:35 AM   #6
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
The quick & easy way I determined the actual thickness was by bending the end of a paper clip into a small hook, sticking it through the drilled hole, fishing for the bottom of the slab, marking where the paper clip meets the top of the slab, removing the clip and then measuring from the bottom of the mark to the top of the hook's end. Its 3/4". Yes, that's three quarters of one inch. That worries me. Anyhoo, that method worked great!
Ayuh,.... 3/4" keeps yer feet dry, 'n outa the mud....

It ain't like yer drivin' a Truck around on it...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:45 AM   #7

Quote:
I had to drill a hole in my basement floor (concrete) for a project.
What actually is your project? If you are planning to install a drop forge, or a 100-ton sheet-metal gullotine, you might find 3/4" won't do. If you are just fixing some angle brackets for a workbench, you should be OK.
tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:45 AM   #8

Quote:

Did you only drill one hole, and how old is the building?
Old 06-10-2012, 12:11 PM   #9
Bill Kearney

And is this clearly part of the whole slab, or possibly an area that was patched at some point in the past?
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:08 PM   #10

Really?! 3/4" is okay? I was under the impression that a concrete basement floor should be at least 2".

Anyhoo, I don't know the history of the basement construction, just bought the house late last year. I do know the house was built in 1918.

The project I'm working on is building a frame for an accent wall (non load bearing). I'm fastening the bottom plate to the concrete floor using concrete screws (2 3/4" Tapcon).

Last edited by anuvanoob; 06-10-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:35 PM   #11
Bill Kearney

A good place to start would be the permitting office to see what's been filed for work done to the place. Always helps to know what was handled with a permit, because it can also give you insight about what wasn't done with a proper permit. With or without is no guarantee either way. But it'd give you some insight beyond just what you see in front of you. The same thing can be done when the next owner looks up your permit for the job.

What's considered OK today wasn't always that way. Maybe it didn't have a floor at all, or had one removed at some point, either way somebody at the time thought it was OK to put down what you've discovered now. But since you've found something rather thin you might want to take a hard look around at the rest of the structure. Check that other walls and load bearing points appear to be sufficient. Better to know that everything else is in decent shape before you spend money on something new, right?
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Really?! 3/4" is okay? I was under the impression that a concrete basement floor should be at least 2".

Anyhoo, I don't know the history of the basement construction, just bought the house late last year. I do know the house was built in 1918.

The project I'm working on is building a frame for an accent wall (non load bearing). I'm fastening the bottom plate to the concrete floor using concrete screws (2 3/4" Tapcon).

Basement floors are supposed to be 3- 4 inches thick,but as previous poster said it probably started out being dirt,and someone "upgraded" to 3/4 inch.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:45 PM   #13
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
A good place to start would be the permitting office to see what's been filed for work done to the place. Always helps to know what was handled with a permit, because it can also give you insight about what wasn't done with a proper permit. With or without is no guarantee either way. But it'd give you some insight beyond just what you see in front of you. The same thing can be done when the next owner looks up your permit for the job.
Doubt they are going to find any permits from 1918. Lucky if there are records that go back that far, since most county offices if they did not get a chance to move the information to microfilm or microfiche, or still have the books they kept records in, that are still legible, it would be a Wild goose chase that would be pointless.

Also, most counties only retain records for so many years, and when they destroy those records at that time, they just make a notation and that they were "archived" or warehoused. You would be surprised how quickly stuff disappears once it gets "warehoused" and never to be found again.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:35 AM   #14

Well, there was plain ol' dirt on the paper clip from poking around down the hole. This hole I drilled is less than an inch away from the foundation. Does that change anything (i.e., maybe slabs are usually thinner near the foundation)?

Also, down the road we plan on digging up the basement floor so we can lower it a couple of inches (I keep bumping my head on the beams and ducts). If the slab is indeed 3/4" throughout then what does that mean for our plans of lowering the basement floor? Please tell me its still possible. Please?

Last edited by anuvanoob; 06-12-2012 at 03:38 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:35 AM   #15
Retired from the grind

Doubtful that you can lower it any. The footing would be right around the 3/4 mark, if you drilled just near the wall base. You just have to live with it, otherwise you will be in for a surprise in how much it costs to raise a house for more head room in a basement area.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote