Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-30-2012, 12:45 PM   #1

Share |

Easiest way to build brick columns?

I'm building my own house, and the brick columns on the porch will be my first try at masonry. No pressure- just the entrance to my new home!

My question is simply one of procedure- would it be easier/faster/better to make hollow brick columns, and then fill the inside with concrete, or form up concrete columns, and then apply the brick to the outside? The columns will be roughly 44" high, and 3 bricks wide, or just under 24". The resulting inside void will be about 16" square. The porch roof is actually supported by welded steel posts; the brick, and tapered wood upper portion are strictly for show.

I know the basics of brick laying- I just don't know which way is easier, especially for a newbie. Thanks!

MushCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:49 PM   #2
Concrete & Masonry

The easiest approach woul dbe to lay 16" x 16" chimney/pier block if available to you. Some come as halves (to get around the steel columns already in place) but most are one piece and will need to be sawed in half to fit around the columns.............

jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:40 PM   #3

And after you get the blocks installed,you can add stone veneer to them,something like this for a cool look.

http://www.eldoradostone.com/product...FQu0nQod8AYA8A
Canarywood1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:20 AM   #4

I didn't know 16" block were available in 2 piece. If I can't find them, they would be easy to saw. Good idea!

Thanks for the link for the stone veneer. We are going with real brick, as that's what's typical around here (South Carolina) and I want the house to look as if it's been here for many years.
MushCreek is offline   Reply With Quote