Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-24-2012, 10:56 AM   #1

Share |

drylok on the inside?

I've got a very old house, pre 1900, with a dirt basement and a 5ftx30ft unheated shed attached along the rear of the house. The basement does not get puddles from rain but that one wall against the rear of the house does get moisture along the bottom third of the cement foundation, from the ground up about two or three feet. The dirt floor along that side, of course, is frequently dark from the wetness, but again, no water. I can't access the outside of the cement wall because of the attached shed. Can or should Drylok or some other material be put on the inside?

Thanks very much, Ken

kentannenbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #2

drylok on the inside?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentannenbaum View Post
I've got a very old house, pre 1900, with a dirt basement and a 5ftx30ft unheated shed attached along the rear of the house. The basement does not get puddles from rain but that one wall against the rear of the house does get moisture along the bottom third of the cement foundation, from the ground up about two or three feet. The dirt floor along that side, of course, is frequently dark from the wetness, but again, no water. I can't access the outside of the cement wall because of the attached shed. Can or should Drylok or some other material be put on the inside?

Thanks very much, Ken

Drylok can be used on the interior or exterior.

Canarywood1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:48 PM   #3

drylok on the inside?

What kind of roof is on the shed? Is the floor of the shed dirt as well or ?
CopperClad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #4

drylok on the inside?

The roof is tar paper, the floor's plywood on 2x6's off the ground on footings.
I did not build it but it's sturdy and the roof doesn't leak. The reason for the water seepage is the rear of the house butts against a rise in the land and water naturally flows toward that side of the house. Building a french drain or some other means of channel water from that "hill" would be cost prohibitive, which is the reason I'm asking about a "cheap" fix in using Drylok as a moisture barrier on the INSIDE of the foundation wall.

Thanks, Ken
kentannenbaum is offline   Reply With Quote