Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-16-2012, 12:16 PM   #1

Share |

Driveway resurfacing - DIY or no?

I was hoping to get some advice on the difficulty level of this project and the best product to use for anyone who might have done it before. My house/driveway are only 7 years old, but they must have poorly mixed the concrete when the driveway was poured, because as you can see in the picture, large areas of the driveway are chipping away. I'm assuming I can use a product like Quikrete concrete resurfacer to fill up the holes and then use a thinner mix to resurface, but I would appreciate any suggestions or product recommendations. Thanks!!

Picture:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7864095...n/photostream/

interog8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by interog8 View Post
I was hoping to get some advice on the difficulty level of this project and the best product to use for anyone who might have done it before. My house/driveway are only 7 years old, but they must have poorly mixed the concrete when the driveway was poured, because as you can see in the picture, large areas of the driveway are chipping away. I'm assuming I can use a product like Quikrete concrete resurfacer to fill up the holes and then use a thinner mix to resurface, but I would appreciate any suggestions or product recommendations. Thanks!!

Picture:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7864095...n/photostream/

Looks like spalling,driveway was probably not sealed after it was poured, allowing deicing chemicals to do their thing,concrete resurfacing will be a short term patch,two ways to handle it,tear it out and replace or resurface with a layer of blacktop.

Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:21 PM   #3

thanks canarywood, any suggestions on what specific product to use - and is there anyway I could use a product that wouldn't change the color to black? And would this be pretty straightforward to diy?

Last edited by interog8; 06-16-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
World's Tallest Midget

What he's saying is you either replace the concrete, or put asphalt over the top. Any other type of fix will last until the next winter, and then you're back to square one.

Ripping out/replacing a concrete driveway is doable for the DIYer, but its on the higher end. If you've got buddies in the construction industry (who doesn't?) you could probably rip it out one weekend, and pour it the next. Canarywood1 is exactly right about the deicer causing it, so do some research on the proper way to seal the driveway, unless you want to do it again in another few years.
Mort is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mort For This Useful Post:
Ravenworks (06-16-2012)
Old 06-16-2012, 03:00 PM   #5

Thanks!! I will go with using the asphalt option. Is there a specific product I need for application over concrete? All the products I can find refer to resurfacing asphalt. Also, do I need to worry about maintaining the expansion joints, or can they be covered over?

And I have no experience with this, but for sure something like this product:

won't last, is that correct?
Old 06-16-2012, 05:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by interog8 View Post
Thanks!! I will go with using the asphalt option. Is there a specific product I need for application over concrete? All the products I can find refer to resurfacing asphalt. Also, do I need to worry about maintaining the expansion joints, or can they be covered over?

And I have no experience with this, but for sure something like this product:

won't last, is that correct?
That's correct,it's a waste of time and money,and the asphalt overlay has to be done by an asphalt contractor,it's not a diy project.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:42 PM   #7
Concrete & Masonry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
Looks like spalling,driveway was probably not sealed after it was poured, allowing deicing chemicals to do their thing,concrete resurfacing will be a short term patch,two ways to handle it,tear it out and replace or resurface with a layer of blacktop.
Call me naive, but the thinest I've ever seen asphalt installed is 1.5", which would create a host of other problems for the OP, like a step at the city sidewalk, as well as it would likely be higher than the garage floor........
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:49 PM   #8

Good point,and while 1.5" is used on a residential street,i've seen 3/4" layed on a driveway and tapered at the garage and the city walk,not the proper way to do it for sure ,but when you have to improvise to make something work i thought the contractor did a very nice job with what he had to work with.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:35 AM   #9
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
Good point,and while 1.5" is used on a residential street,i've seen 3/4" layed on a driveway and tapered at the garage and the city walk,not the proper way to do it for sure ,but when you have to improvise to make something work i thought the contractor did a very nice job with what he had to work with.
Ayuh,... We do 1" overlays all the time,....

You can cut a key at the garage, 'n sidewalk, or taper the mix, to match...

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote