Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-16-2013, 07:50 AM   #1

Share |

Driveway repair/restore

Has anyone tried to topcoat a driveway with something like the Rustoleum Restore product? My driveway was poured with lame soft concrete and has some pitting due to tire salt pickup from the roads in winter. I am wondering how well the Restore or somesuch would improve the appearance and how long it might last.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:14 AM   #2
Remodel and New Build GC

Driveway repair/restore

I have used Rustoleom's product on sidewalk with superb results... both with application, appearance, and 1+ years wear through Colorado winter...

However, as I recall, they specifically exclude (do not recommend) it for driveway application.... don't know if that is a "hot tire" issue or possibly a "oil/gas" issue.... it is a latex based product.

There are some knock-off products now... think bhear and SW have alternatives that you might want to check-out

Good luck

Old 07-16-2013, 09:46 AM   #3

Driveway repair/restore

Thanks for the input...

I see that Rustoleum has a related product called Extreme Concrete Restore that is recommended for driveways and is supposed to be "resistant" to hot tire pickup. Looks like prep is key and I think a 7-day curing time without vehicle traffic. I assume I could also use this, or the regular Restore, on the steps that lead up from the driveway to the landing by my front door. They have a video showing application to a driveway but the stuff looks thick enough to apply to the faces of the steps as well as the flats and concrete landings.

I am thinking this might be worth a try... maybe this fall when temps moderate a bit but before the leaves start to come down.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:50 AM   #4
Remodel and New Build GC

Driveway repair/restore

THANKS FOR THE UPDATE.... great to know.... must be new in the last year....

Best

EDIT: At least the original stuff (very quick recoat/dry maybe several hours as I recall) for your steps applied fine on the step risers (vertical surface).

Last edited by MTN REMODEL LLC; 07-16-2013 at 09:52 AM.
MTN REMODEL LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:30 PM   #5

Driveway repair/restore

Hey, MTN, one more question,

It might be too soon for you to have any experience with this but I wonder how these finishes eventually wear or fail. Do they just fade but and require a simple re-coating say 5 years down the road, or will they crack and peel? If they peel it could be a major job to strip or power wash the old before putting down new. I don't want to make myself too much more work later...
Old 07-16-2013, 05:58 PM   #6
Remodel and New Build GC

Driveway repair/restore

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylo32 View Post
Hey, MTN, one more question,

It might be too soon for you to have any experience with this but I wonder how these finishes eventually wear or fail. Do they just fade but and require a simple re-coating say 5 years down the road, or will they crack and peel? If they peel it could be a major job to strip or power wash the old before putting down new. I don't want to make myself too much more work later...
GREAT QUESTION RAY..... You can never find that info on the can....

No... I've used it once, on a home flip, but the buyers have turned out to be good friends and I was down there just this Saterday.

I did take a look at it, and it looked great. It was a front walk that gets a fair amount of shoveling (not snowblower because of being stepped) in winter. I could not tell if it was faded (didn't appear faded) because obviously I did not have any fresh to compare it to.

Sorry... I'd like to know also.

Best
Old 07-17-2013, 05:25 PM   #7

Driveway repair/restore

almost used it as they're local guys who were bought out a short time ago,,, a local fellow pro ( gary - greatly respected in the trade & atl area ) did use it & almost came to blows w/the manufacturer over its poor performance + the absolute nitemare of application woes

a friend asked for a product recommendation recently as he saw it at the apron store,,, i told him to call gary & he never used it either based on talking w/him,,, as always, ymmv

ps - IF its lo-strength conc, nothing will strengthen it altho we have had some success w/densifiers used for interior polished conc

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help

Last edited by itsreallyconc; 07-17-2013 at 07:14 PM.
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:02 PM   #8
Remodel and New Build GC

Driveway repair/restore

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
almost used it as they're local guys who were bought out a short time ago,,, a local fellow pro ( gary - greatly respected in the trade & atl area ) did use it & almost came to blows w/the manufacturer over its poor performance + the absolute nitemare of application woes

a friend asked for a product recommendation recently as he saw it at the apron store,,, i told him to call gary & he never used it either based on talking w/him,,, as always, ymmv

ps - IF its lo-strength conc, nothing will strengthen it altho we have had some success w/densifiers used for interior polished conc
Ray and IT'S Really.... Guess not in this thread, but if yiou search restore or Rustoleum about a month back.... I did discuss the application issues.

Basically, it's a very heavy textured coat (uses a special roller) and I would not use it in an application that requires cutting anything in....

A neighbor to my job, used it on his deck with built in benches.... (that's where I got the idea.) His deck came out/looked like crap 1) You can't cut it in very well in the decking board edges 2) And when you get to cutting in benches, a brush gives you a distinctly different texture than the roller.

My sidewalk could be completely rolled..... on concrete flatwork, not overworked and applied religiously in accordance with can, it came out great.

It's not that the application is difficult, it's just limited to complete rollable flatwork... the sidewalk was stepped.... but the risers could be rolled.

I used two coats.... done early (cool) morning.

Best

Peter
Old 07-18-2013, 06:51 PM   #9

Driveway repair/restore

Thanks guys. I also want to avoid something like this:

Updated Request - Removing H&CŪ Concrete Water-Based Solid Color Stain