Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-15-2014, 09:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 502

driveway pavement

I'm just curious about HMA and how weather affects it. I have a company scheduled to pave my driveway any day now and they were going to grade it all out today but didn't because of the rain. From my research the hotter the better for the hot mix meaning that the hotter the day the longer they have to work with the asphalt which makes sense. I have read of people paving in the snow also. One website said that 40 degrees should be the minimum temp to do any paving and that's for a small area.

Now, is it only the temperature at the time that the pavement is being put down that matters? What's its down and compacted the weather doesn't affect it much anymore? What if its 60 when they put it down and then its below freezing that night? Or what if it rains a couple hours after they finish? I'm just curious.

nikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:10 PM   #2
Rob

Rewards Points: 520

driveway pavement

I am pretty sure its only workable time. It is cooling from the time it leaves the plant.

Robpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:42 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,174

driveway pavement

HMA = hot mix asphalt = flexible pavement = blacktop

we pave'd in the rain - inspectors would generally let us place the load if the trk was already loaded out,,, after that, he'd close the plant,,, our threshold was 40f & rising also - conc OR hma

once its down & rolled, its fine - but still slightly flexible - by the next day, you should be good but listen to your paver 1st

' is it only the temperature at the time that the pavement is being put down that matters? yep !
What's its down and compacted the weather doesn't affect it much anymore? true
What if its 60 when they put it down and then its below freezing that night? the pvmt gets cold & has to lie in the dark all nite while its owner is all warm & snuggly in his bed
' what if it rains a couple hours after they finish? ' it gets wet

irc
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stadry For This Useful Post:
Bondo (04-16-2014), nikeman (04-16-2014)
Old 04-16-2014, 06:50 AM   #4

driveway pavement

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
HMA = hot mix asphalt = flexible pavement = blacktop

we pave'd in the rain - inspectors would generally let us place the load if the trk was already loaded out,,, after that, he'd close the plant,,, our threshold was 40f & rising also - conc OR hma

once its down & rolled, its fine - but still slightly flexible - by the next day, you should be good but listen to your paver 1st

' is it only the temperature at the time that the pavement is being put down that matters? yep !
What's its down and compacted the weather doesn't affect it much anymore? true
What if its 60 when they put it down and then its below freezing that night? the pvmt gets cold & has to lie in the dark all nite while its owner is all warm & snuggly in his bed
' what if it rains a couple hours after they finish? ' it gets wet

irc
That's what I thought. If any of that stuff mattered they would not be able to me the deadline in the contract because of the stupid weather we've had (below freezing last night after being 80 the past few days). Now they just gotta let it dry out from the storms last night so they can grade.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:28 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 166

driveway pavement

I agree with itsreallyconcrete! If the HMA is compacted thoroughly before it gets too cool then you are good to go. Depending on the mix design, if it is below 140F you will not be able to compacted it anymore. The asphalt has already set up (broke) and getting it compact anymore is fruitless.
landfillwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:34 AM   #6

driveway pavement

Took a while due to weather but it's done. We even had a tornado warning right after they finished so it got poured on but not affected at all. He has to touch up an edge that isn't square for some reason and clean up the pile of crap by the road. Should be 100 % today. I'm loving it already just because there is no mud after the big storm yesterday.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:35 AM   #7

driveway pavement

driveway pavement-forumrunner_20140523_103447.jpg

driveway pavement-forumrunner_20140523_103456.jpg
Old 05-23-2014, 06:48 PM   #8

driveway pavement

you might want to leave a nitelight on,,, sometimes new b-top gets lonely the 1st & 2nd nite its away from the plant

irc

ps - no mud = happier momma
Old 05-23-2014, 07:54 PM   #9

driveway pavement

I'm already tired of not being able to park in my driveway. The guy said to give it 3 days and after that I can park on it but I can't turn the wheels on the cars when I'm not moving for a year. I hope he's exaggerating about the year thing since I made a little turn around area off to the side. Lol
Old 05-24-2014, 04:53 AM   #10

driveway pavement

its not a good idea to spin the wheel anytime its b-top w/o the vehicle being in motion,,, b-top doesn't have the abrasion resistance of conc.

forgot to mention this - you might consider curing blankets for new b-top,,, just for a few nights,,, along w/missing its b-top plant momma, new driveways also get chilly w/o the other b-top w/whom to snuggle

wait @ least a yr before sealing it,,, gives time for the asphaltic oils to dissipate
Old 05-25-2014, 08:25 AM   #11

driveway pavement

Yea. I either looked it up or the guy told me it has to wait a year to seal.

The driveway was finished Thursday afternoon. He did a touch up on a section of the edge Friday morning. I'm guessing it's OK to park on now. I hate leaving my truck on the road because people drive 45-50mph through my neighborhood. Not to mention I'm sure a lot of drunk people will be everywhere tonight. Would you guys park on it tonight or let it wait 1 more night?
Old 05-25-2014, 09:52 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 166

driveway pavement

Can you take a close up of the driveway? The aggregate in the APM looks quite large. Want to make sure it placed a layer of top on the base coat.
landfillwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 12:19 PM   #13

driveway pavement

The second one is the walkway which I think was done by hand due to the small size and drain field in front of it.

driveway pavement-forumrunner_20140525_131724.jpg

driveway pavement-forumrunner_20140525_131840.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
driveway pavement-forumrunner_20140525_131633.jpg   driveway pavement-forumrunner_20140525_131642.jpg  
Old 05-25-2014, 06:14 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,022

driveway pavement

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeman View Post
The second one is the walkway which I think was done by hand due to the small size and drain field in front of it.

Attachment 85297

Attachment 85298

Looks like segregation in pics 2 and 4.
Canarywood1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:37 AM   #15

driveway pavement

I was asked a very important question about my driveway by my 2 year old daughter. When can we draw on it with sidewalk chaulk? Very urgent. Lol