Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-10-2013, 05:08 PM   #1

Share |

driveway hack jobs?

Hack or not?

I called several contractors for a driveway job.
Standard 4" thick.

A few of them said they use wire mesh, some use rebar.

but they don't use dobies or rebar chairs.
They pull up on the mesh/rebar after the concrete is poured.

Then they walk all over it, making the mesh and rebar sink back to the bottom.

In wet 3000 psi concrete, wouldn't the rebar slowly sink to the bottom, making the reinforcement useless?

These are licensed contractors who have been doing it this way for years.

One contractor told me he doesn't use dobies because that 2"x2" spot ends up being weak. I'm thinking, big deal. that one space occupied by a dobie is solid enough, and will hold up a rebar grid even if you step on it.

It doesn't even take much time to tie a few dobies here and there.
If you put one dobie every 4 square feet, It would only cost me an extra $50 in materials for a 600 sq.ft driveway.

proper....

pman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:13 PM   #2

driveway hack jobs?

The old school way was to rake it up and then hope it stay up and in the right place. a cross section would look like a wave of mesh high and lows in it. floating the rebar in bad thing to do. I have done it working for others who insisted on it. does not give the streagnth it should have. Use rebar do the ties right and use chairs. using wire heavy gage mesh use the cement blocks. Simple may add to the cost by say 80 to 100 dollars big whoop.

Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #3

driveway hack jobs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbags View Post
The old school way was to rake it up and then hope it stay up and in the right place.

ah no wonder. These guys I called were old. got their license in the late 1980's.

back then, they used mesh.

these days, more people are using rebar. Probably no difference as far as holding things together.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:51 PM   #4

driveway hack jobs?

why any steel at all in a 4" driv eway ? WHY welded wire mesh / rebar in conc ? ? ? ,,, you'll find this has been recently discuss'd.

that being said, at the d/w throat & garage pad, we do place #4 bar to add flexural strength,,, HOWEVER, the d/w is generally 6" thick for the 1st 10' to give extra strength when shock loads ( cars driving in & rebounding on their shocks ) are applied,,,
you should know steel doesn't add compressive strength,,, ACI recommends 2" of conc above AND below anysteel.

you'll get a much better job IF the contractor installs a proper jnt pattern @ the correct time AND sees that the conc cures correctly,,, wire mesh is for ...

why would anyone use 3K compressive strength conc ?,,askeered of a few more $$ in the d/w ?

' licensed & doing it this way for years ' means little 'cause they can't see YOUR house from their house sounds as if someone's peeing on your leg & trying to tell you its raining

Last edited by BigJim; 04-10-2013 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Offenses removed
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:08 PM   #5

driveway hack jobs?

you can toss rebar in it for a drive way yes use #4 rebar and use 4,000 psi mud with fiber mesh added and put your pre stressed joints in it. you should be fine.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:11 PM   #6
Concrete & Masonry

driveway hack jobs?

The biggest reason chairs/dobies aren't used in residential construction here has nothing to do with the material cost, but logistics. It's not uncommon to pull a ready-mix truck into the forms to spout the concrete out, or use a wheelbarrow, or use a power buggy. If placing by these methods, it's simply not realistic to chair the re-inforcement up.

I've been putting rebar in flatwork for 14 years now, and I've yet to encounter all of the downsides that have been mentioned so far, at least on a regular basis. Sure, I've seen mesh in or near the bottom of the pour, but it certainly wasn't the reason we were replacing the concrete. We've also removed enough of our own work for me to witness that the rebar doesn't sink to the bottom w/o chairs............
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #7

driveway hack jobs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post

why would anyone use 3K compressive strength conc ?,,askeered of a few more $$ in the d/w ?
higher psi cracks more easily if not properly babysat, supposedly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45 View Post
We've also removed enough of our own work for me to witness that the rebar doesn't sink to the bottom w/o chairs............

that's a little more reassuring. I still would like dobies in the corners of each grid at least.