Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-16-2014, 10:20 PM   #1

Share |

Driveway on crack

I bought my house a little over a year ago and have a one inch lift from the carport to the driveway. The lift is not due to settling but rather lifting. The carport area had a group of trees about two feet away that caused the uplift. The trees have died off and were cut down. The uplift caused the carport to crack right across from one side to the other making the carport a separate section from the driveway. Apparently, this was poured years ago before control joints were used. Other than the unsightly crack and 1/4 inch gap... the driveway is in decent shape. I am thinking about cutting a straight four inch gap to get rid of the unsightly crack. While this is cut out I plan to run a line for a couple of sprinkler heads to a section of grass that I currently have to water manually. I will then concrete it back over once the line is tested. Anyone ever do something similar and what problems did you run into? I will try to post a picture of it tomorrow. My driveway was basically poured in three sections with zero control joints in each section. The driveway can accommodate about 10 vehicles.

westleykarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:40 PM   #2

Driveway on crack

Nothing wrong with that. Make sure your base is correct and you shouldn't have problems. Have you considered a row of pavers instead of concrete? Don't have to worry about any future movement and you can make a contrasting band if you want. It would also give you a place to get future wires or lines across the driveway or replace the sprinkler line if needed in the future.

iminaquagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iminaquagmire For This Useful Post:
westleykarcher (04-16-2014)
Old 04-16-2014, 11:55 PM   #3

Driveway on crack

I will keep the paver idea as an option. Maintenance wise it makes more sense. You gave me a great idea with a contrasting band/easy access area for the sprinkler line.
westleykarcher is offline   Reply With Quote