Drilling Ceramic Tile - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-20-2012, 12:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Drilling ceramic tile

Hoping someone can tell me what I did wrong here.. I used this drill bit on a porcelain tile last week as a test. I taped the surface, cooled it with water and drilled through it with no problem on my drill press.

Last night I started my job, got to the first hole and couldn't get the hole drilled without breaking tiles. (These are different tiles than I used on my test run, naturally ) I could get about 1/8" through my 3/8" tile and get stuck. I tried flipping a couple over and still got about 1/8" before the bit would just stop cutting and start squeaking.

First things first, I'm going to slow the drill down when I try tonight. But is there anything else I should be doing differently?

Edit: Porcelain, not ceramic.

Advertisement

Last edited by qoncept; 09-20-2012 at 01:01 PM.
qoncept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 562

Drilling ceramic tile

That's the wrong bit for porcelain tile.

Look for a diamond bit that's made for porcelain tile.

Lowe's #48295 is a cheap one that probably won't last long but would most likely get you through if you're not drilling a bunch of holes.

Advertisement

ktkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Drilling ceramic tile

Thanks, I thought I had the right thing. I need to make holes about an inch though, for copper pipes. Would I be better off using a dremel with a cutoff tool?
qoncept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:56 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 562

Drilling ceramic tile

You should just get a larger version of that same diamond bit I mentioned. It's really a "core drill bit".

The 1 1/2" one I had was for drilling "dry" and it worked quite well fro me.

I used it in my drill press and used slow steady pressure. I do mean slow, as it'll build up a lot of heat. Push too hard or fast and the tile will break.

Ask me how I know...

Last edited by ktkelly; 09-20-2012 at 06:00 PM.
ktkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:07 PM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,274

Drilling ceramic tile

KTKELLY is right--a diamond hole saw is what's needed---and water---there are some useable ones at the Depot and places like that---they will come with a plastic stick on cup that acts as a guide and a water reservoir.