Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-04-2013, 04:30 PM   #1

Share |

Drain added to side of driveway / drainage issues

Hello,

Not sure this is the correct forum, but last year I added a basin drain to the side of my driveway where all the water from the house drains. I connected the basin to some PVC and ran it down the side of the house and down the hill.

My question is: the drain has since settled, and there's an inch gap between it and the side of the driveway. So most water is draining down that instead of into the basin. I figured digging it up and setting it into concrete or something would be the way to fix it, but I'm not sure what product would be best. Any suggestions? Appreciate any info.
Attached Thumbnails
Drain added to side of driveway / drainage issues-drain.jpg  

oatlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:44 AM   #2

depends where you are - that's why LOCATION's important,,, in any event, you need to reset the drainage box,,, use crush'd stone this time under it

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:34 PM   #3

I'm in middle TN. I did put sand, then gravel, then the basin. Problem is the drive edge isn't perfectly straight, plus now it's sunk a little. Is there a specific type of concrete or product I should use when I dig it up to reseat it?

Thanks.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #4

you probably get a little frost but isn't the depth of the drainbox about 12 " if so, 6" on conc under the box should resolve the issue,,, place the box where you want it then silicone caulk/seal where it adjoins the d/w
The Following User Says Thank You to stadry For This Useful Post:
oatlord (04-05-2013)
Old 04-05-2013, 01:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
you probably get a little frost but isn't the depth of the drainbox about 12 " if so, 6" on conc under the box should resolve the issue,,, place the box where you want it then silicone caulk/seal where it adjoins the d/w
Good deal, thank you. Just regular old concrete I can buy in bags from the big box stores will do?

Your silicone caulk suggestion made me think of something else though.....could I just fill the void with that self leveling driveway caulk or will this always give me problems the way it is?

Thanks again.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:26 AM   #6

yep, bagg'd conc mix will be fine that ' void ' needs a sealant w/structure & elasticity,,, the latex crk sealant in the plastic bottle's not suitable - even using it on a conc crk as directed according to the label, im-n-s-h-fo, isn't a good idea but that's an issue for another thread.

if it were mine, i'd get a tube of 100% silicone ( paint dept ) & install according to directions found on the mfg's w/site - NOT just the label.