Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-14-2014, 08:07 PM   #1

Share |

Does waterfall need sealing

I'm thinking about building a waterfall on my hillside that cascade into a rubber lined pond. I would like to use broken concrete to make a series of steps held together and covered with portland and sand. My question is it necessary to use a sealer in my mix to keep the water from seeping through the concrete?

spivman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:05 PM   #2

You need to put the same type of rubber you put in the pond under the entire waterfall. If you don't you will be redoing it in the future to correct the problem. No matter how you try to seal the waterfall some water will leak through it and the rubber liner will then direct it into the pond.

Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:10 AM   #3

too bad you didn't think location was important,,, tough to help when 1 ignores directions,,, different geographic areas affect solutions

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help

Last edited by itsreallyconc; 04-15-2014 at 03:22 AM.
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:04 PM   #4

Sorry itsreallyconc, My location is southern California. Mild to hot weather, low humidity, no freezing concerns.
Msradell- that is a concern that I have, but I have a concrete fountain that water doesn't seem to seep through the walls (approx 2").
Old 04-15-2014, 01:43 PM   #5

If you do not put a rubber liner under it, you will be redoing it soon. Even if you shingle the concrete, it will still leak like a sieve.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spivman View Post
I'm thinking about building a waterfall on my hillside that cascade into a rubber lined pond. I would like to use broken concrete to make a series of steps held together and covered with portland and sand. My question is it necessary to use a sealer in my mix to keep the water from seeping through the concrete?

What product are you referring to, don't know of a sealer that's used in a mix??
Canarywood1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:02 PM   #7

Canarywood1- I don't have a particular sealer in mind. I am just wondering if I used the same type of mix that concrete fountains used(my fountain basin holds water that doesn't seep out) and used it on my waterfall that it might not leak.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:26 PM   #8

You are not building a fountain and painting a sealer on the uniform surface. You are stacking hunks of old concrete with fresh concrete. Sealer will not adhere to both surfaces equally.

Put the rubber under it or live with the leaks and water loss. Your choice.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spivman View Post
Canarywood1- I don't have a particular sealer in mind. I am just wondering if I used the same type of mix that concrete fountains used(my fountain basin holds water that doesn't seep out) and used it on my waterfall that it might not leak.

There's no secret to what kind of mix they use for the bird baths or fountains, but you will have to use more than grout to hold it all together, you say you want to make a series of steps and use broken concrete, what will you use for the sides??
Canarywood1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:19 PM   #10

herculiner [ no $ interest ] just like in the back of my truck but 1st pour the sluiceway & embed the chunks in the wet conc,,, at the outfall, use pond liner

irc

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote