Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 599
Rewards Points: 518
Default

Does this seem safe?


I realize it is tough to give a meaningful answer when you can't actually see it, but I am totally clueless here.

My house has a 4' high stone breakwall at the lake about 10" thick. It is on a concrete footer. It is made of grapefruit sized rocks cemented together. It is probably about 60 years old. I would like to bolt two large hooks onto it and store a 60 pound kayak on it. Is that likely to be okay? It would be really nice to do, but I expect fixing the wall will be expensive.

There is a set of stairs attached to it with a pair of hinges. They used plastic inserts and screws. It seems to be pretty solid; is that the right way?

Toller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 26,994
Rewards Points: 3,104
Default

Does this seem safe?


Really need that picture.
Plastic anchors to hold up a gate.

__________________
When posting in forums, letting us know your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:04 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pacific North west
Posts: 1,262
Rewards Points: 528
Default

Does this seem safe?


Photo please!
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:38 PM   #4
Member
 
GBrackins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Fairhaven, Massachusetts
Posts: 2,869
Rewards Points: 2,016
Default

Does this seem safe?


i think a few photos may be in order ....
__________________
Gary

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:49 AM   #5
JOATMON
 
ddawg16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: S. California
Posts: 7,487
Rewards Points: 2,316
Default

Does this seem safe?


I understand exactly what your talking about.....

Your big concern is how deep the footing is. But, if it's not leaning....I think your going to be ok.

But....a 60lb kayak? 60lb? Is that one of those 3 person jobs? If it really does weigh that much...time to buy another one. I would think a 45lb carbon fiber one would fit the bill....
__________________
"The dream is free but the hustle is sold separately."

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:15 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 599
Rewards Points: 518
Default

Does this seem safe?


Okay, here are pictures.
The first three are of the wall where I want to hang the kayak.
The fourth one is of one of the hinges now attached to the wall.
The last two are of the wall on the other side of the dock. This wall is 14" thick and appears to be better construction; however there are no stairs going to it; so it is much less desirable than the first wall.

Carbon kayaks would be very light, but if I am leaving it at the water that is not much of an advantage. They are 3 times the price and much more fragile; so I will stick with plastic.
Toller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:53 PM   #7
Master General ReEngineer
 
Bondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chaumont River, Ny.
Posts: 3,683
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Does this seem safe?


Ayuh,..... If it were Me,...
I'd bend up some Huge "S" hooks outa, say 1, 1/2"x 1/4" flat stock steel,....
If ya didn't mind the toe-stubber on top of the wall, ya could use Rebar, 'n slip an ole hose over it to protect the yak...

I'd run the flat stock over the top of the wall, 'n sink the tag end of it 6"/ 10" deep into the turf, behind the wall....
Over the face, bend hoops to match the kayak, at whatever elevation ya choose.......

That way, ya ain't gotta drill Any holes in yer ole antique stone wall,...
which appears to be holdin' up, quite well...

If ya do go with some sorta brackets needin' screws, 'n holes,...

Drill all yer holes on a slightly upward cant so's they'll drain of water, 'n use Tapcons for screws...
Water settin', 'n freezin' in the winter can destroy rock, 'n concrete...

Last edited by Bondo; 04-19-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:33 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 599
Rewards Points: 518
Default

Does this seem safe?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,..... If it were Me,...
I'd bend up some Huge "S" hooks outa, say 1, 1/2"x 1/4" flat stock steel,....
If ya didn't mind the toe-stubber on top of the wall, ya could use Rebar, 'n slip an ole hose over it to protect the yak...

I'd run the flat stock over the top of the wall, 'n sink the tag end of it 6"/ 10" deep into the turf, behind the wall....
Over the face, bend hoops to match the kayak, at whatever elevation ya choose.......

That way, ya ain't gotta drill Any holes in yer ole antique stone wall,...
which appears to be holdin' up, quite well...

If ya do go with some sorta brackets needin' screws, 'n holes,...

Drill all yer holes on a slightly upward cant so's they'll drain of water, 'n use Tapcons for screws...
Water settin', 'n freezin' in the winter can destroy rock, 'n concrete...
I have a brass kickplate that I have been saving for 15 years for something. If I can figure out how to cut it in half, that might work. (sure, a jigsaw would work, but it would be slow going) On the outside I could hammer a 4x4 into the ground and use the hook to keep it attached to the wall, and attach the hooks I already have on the 4x4s. Would the footer for the wall be thicker than the wall?
Toller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:35 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: atl & hilton head
Posts: 3,287
Rewards Points: 2,156
Default

Does this seem safe?


a hacksaw & metal blade will make quick work of sawing the brass,,, you could even rent an elec power'd jig saw for faster time figuring out how to cut in 1/2 could require a tape measure & magic marker

' On the outside I could hammer a 4x4 into the ground and use the hook to keep it attached to the wall ' - what does THIS mean ?

no one knows about the footer or IF there is 1,,, those guys got paid & they're gone a simple test to determine the strength of the wall would be TO SIT ON IT,,, if you weigh more than the kayak & the wall doesn't fall over, i bet the wall's strong enough might try that test in several locations just to be sure !

ps - IF my post yesterday was offensive, a moderator removed it !
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:42 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 599
Rewards Points: 518
Default

Does this seem safe?


Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post


no one knows about the footer or IF there is 1,,, those guys got paid & they're gone a simple test to determine the strength of the wall would be TO SIT ON IT,,, if you weigh more than the kayak & the wall doesn't fall over, i bet the wall's strong enough might try that test in several locations just to be sure !
!
There has to be a a footer; the waves would have undermined it the first year it was up without one.

I an sure any number of people could stand on it; that doesn't mean it will take the torque of having a kayak hung on it, or take screws.
Toller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:35 AM   #11
Master General ReEngineer
 
Bondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chaumont River, Ny.
Posts: 3,683
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Does this seem safe?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Toller View Post
There has to be a a footer; the waves would have undermined it the first year it was up without one.

I an sure any number of people could stand on it; that doesn't mean it will take the torque of having a kayak hung on it, or take screws.
Ayuh,.... Yer Over-thinkin' this,....

yer hangin' a Kayak, not a Battleship....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:59 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 102
Rewards Points: 79
Default

Does this seem safe?


Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post

I would think a 45lb carbon fiber one would fit the bill....
Go with the kevlar, save the carbon fiber for the paddles.

one cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ShieldsUP! (staying safe on the internet!) DangerMouse PC Repairs & Upgrades 3 07-08-2012 09:40 PM
Wondering if this is safe? skylesjk Electrical 10 06-29-2011 05:53 PM
No combination for safe aminus21 Building & Construction 3 03-16-2011 07:32 PM
safe way to add extension to power cord sil Electrical 7 10-18-2007 09:58 PM
Gun Safe vs. Floor Joists allen1466 Building & Construction 9 03-03-2006 08:16 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.