Disintegrating Cinder Blocks - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes

Old 03-20-2017, 07:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 304

Disintegrating Cinder Blocks

My garage is built on a row of cinder blocks, which sits on a floating concrete pad. There a are five or six of the cinder blocks, along the side I park my car, that seem to be slowing disintegrating. I can scratch the surfaces with my finger nail and dust and small pieces come off. One can easily see the surface difference from those blocks to the good ones. I suspect this might be due to winter salt runoff from my car although they never seem to be wet. Right now, they seem to be strong, and not too eroded, so I am wondering if there anything thing I can do to stop the powdering and flaking off process. Perhaps paint them with concrete paint? Some other solution? Thanks for your help.

Advertisement

polarzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:07 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 14,010

Re: Disintegrating Cinder Blocks

Post some pictures both inside and out.
Far more often the issue is caused on the outside and is showing through on the inside.
Lack of roof overhang, no gutters, no drain tile, no slope on grade away from the outside wall are all common issues.

Advertisement

Old 03-20-2017, 08:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Post some pictures both inside and out.
Far more often the issue is caused on the outside and is showing through on the inside.
Lack of roof overhang, no gutters, no drain tile, no slope on grade away from the outside wall are all common issues.
Thanks for the reply. I will get some picture this afternoon. The outside of the blocks is perfect, and the area rarely, if ever gets wet on the outside. Plenty of over hang and gutters. Frankly, the other side of the garage faces north, and would get most rain water outside, and the blocks over there are fine. There is plenty of drain tile as the garage is only two feet from the house, (poured basement) and it is those garage blocks that are the problem. No drain tile on the other three sides of the garage, and the blocks are fine there. Anyway, I will post a couple of pictures.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:33 PM   #4

Here are a couple of pictures. The first is inside, where the problem is, and the second is outside, where there is some erosion starting.
Attached Thumbnails
Disintegrating Cinder Blocks-inside.jpg   Disintegrating Cinder Blocks-outside.jpg  
Old 03-20-2017, 04:08 PM   #5
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 1,984

The inside shot indicates significant moisture exposure in the blocks, framing and the bit of osb that is visible. I don't know where it coming from but it is obviously present. Perhaps wicking up from the soil? If there is no moisture barrier between the block and framing it is going to continue wicking.

We are awash in salt here during the winter and don't experience that kind of damage.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lenaitch For This Useful Post:
polarzak (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 04:42 PM   #6

Don't know were the moisture would be coming from, as it is the side of the garage least exposed on the outside. On the inside, it is closest to and almost the length of the car, so I thought it was runoff. You can see a salt stain on the floor near the block. Is there anything I can do to stop this, or slow it down? The garage is 30 years old, and in excellent shape other than these few cinder blocks. BTW, I am in southern Ontario, also awash in road salt.

Last edited by polarzak; 03-20-2017 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:12 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 3,724

Looks like salt damage from the runoff of your car, you can try a sealer but the damage has been done.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canarywood1 For This Useful Post:
polarzak (03-21-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 05:42 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,684

If that were mine I just may very well try a power wash, re-point any mortar joints the need be then Parge the concrete blocks.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeniorSitizen For This Useful Post:
polarzak (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 05:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSitizen View Post
If that were mine I just may very well try a power wash, re-point any mortar joints the need be then Parge the concrete blocks.
The mortar joints seem unaffected. Rather than "parging", would you think a good cleanup and a coat of concrete sealer paint, as suggested by Canarywood1, would suffice?
Thanks.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarzak View Post
The mortar joints seem unaffected. Rather than "parging", would you think a good cleanup and a coat of concrete sealer paint, as suggested by Canarywood1, would suffice?
Thanks.
A concrete floor enamel would be worth a try but I would follow with a good thick coat of hot paraffin as the sealer. If some old man doesn't like the looks of that in about a hundred years he can sand blast it and do it his way.
The Following User Says Thank You to SeniorSitizen For This Useful Post:
polarzak (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 08:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSitizen View Post
A concrete floor enamel would be worth a try but I would follow with a good thick coat of hot paraffin as the sealer. If some old man doesn't like the looks of that in about a hundred years he can sand blast it and do it his way.
Thanks. I will give it a try. What happens in a hundred years is not my problem. LOL
Old 03-21-2017, 06:12 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 3,724

Quote:
Thanks. I will give it a try. What happens in a hundred years is not my problem. LOL

Geez, just when you think you've heard it all , someone comes along and blows you out of the water with a home grown fix, the last thing you want to do is put paraffin on those CMU's, if you want to use a sealer use a Silane/Siloxane penetrating sealer.
stadry likes this.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:17 PM   #13

Well DUH, I didn't say the paraffin was going on the CMU's, it goes on the paint.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:22 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 932

Before painting, apply some Loxon Primer. It will give some "bite" for your topcoats and act as a bit of a binder to hold the concrete together, or, at least keep it from crumbling more.
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2017, 08:43 PM   #15
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 1,984

Quote:
Thanks.
I'm not convinced parging will do much other than making it look better. Certainly a good power wash to flush as much salt out as you can, then sealing it. Do you notice run off from your vehicles heading for that wall because the floor is not level? You might want to put some wood sealer on the framing and OSB in that area as well.

You can't easily fix it - all you can do is try to keep it from getting worse.

Advertisement

lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote