Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-20-2012, 10:07 AM   #1

Share |

Discolored concrete patio

The previous owner left white paint spots all over the concrete porch and as you can tell the concrete is getting very discolored from over the years. I used my pressure washer yesterday, but that didn't do much. What's my best approach to make this area look better?
Attached Thumbnails
Discolored concrete patio-image-3612695862.jpg   Discolored concrete patio-image-1502309737.jpg  

dinosaur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
Concrete & Masonry

The paint drips will likely need to be scraped by hand. I would suggest a much more powerful pressure washer for the balance, along with a cleaner like bleach or any of the commercial cleaners available.

jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45
The paint drips will likely need to be scraped by hand. I would suggest a much more powerful pressure washer for the balance, along with a cleaner like bleach or any of the commercial cleaners available.
The paint drips are 7-8 yrs old though. Can't do it.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:07 AM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur1 View Post
The paint drips are 7-8 yrs old though. Can't do it.
Sorry I guess I can't help you then, as I have no idea what this word means. I was brought up by a Father who told me that word didn't exist and should simply be replaced with "I don't want to because I'm too lazy"......

Try harder and scrape the paint off........

Last edited by jomama45; 05-28-2012 at 06:11 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jomama45 For This Useful Post:
kwikfishron (05-20-2012), Ravenworks (05-27-2012)
Old 05-20-2012, 11:13 AM   #5

Quote:

Sorry I guess I can't help you then, as I have no idea what this word means. I was brought up by a Father who told me that work didn't exist and should simply be replace with "I don't want to because I'm too lazy"......

Try harder and scrape the paint off........
Sorry I should have said the 10 attempts I have made to scrape it off have proven to be unsuccessful.

Last edited by dinosaur1; 05-20-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:11 PM   #6

what about concrete stain?
Old 05-20-2012, 01:18 PM   #7

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

I think the OP is overly concerned about the condition of something that existed when the property was bought years ago. I would have been much easier to correct then since it may have been a paint job just before the home was listed.

I don't think the "staining" of the concrete is related to the paint spots. Staining might help since it can produce a variable appearance.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry
I think the OP is overly concerned about the condition of something that existed when the property was bought years ago. I would have been much easier to correct then since it may have been a paint job just before the home was listed.

I don't think the "staining" of the concrete is related to the paint spots. Staining might help since it can produce a variable appearance.

Dick
Should I something like paint stripper or formia/muratic acid?
Old 05-21-2012, 07:23 AM   #9
Concrete & Masonry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur1 View Post
what about concrete stain?
Any kind of translucent/transparent/opaque stain is still going to allow the existing variation in color show through, plus it would certainly need a cleaner substrate than you currently have to bond sufficiently. If a solid-colored stain is what you desire, they certainly have issues of their own, and you're still going to need to clean the stains better.

I wouldn't recommend using muriatic on the stoop either, as it will cause even more color issues. A paint scraper with some elbow grease should remove the paint splatters in short order. If not, a simple, safe product like "Goof-Off" or the like should help soften them enough to scrape off.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:46 AM   #10

Heat gun. It'll remove paint that is older than dirt.

Or ... simply more elbow grease.
Rewound98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rewound98 For This Useful Post:
Ravenworks (05-27-2012)
Old 05-21-2012, 09:51 AM   #11

Quote:

Any kind of translucent/transparent/opaque stain is still going to allow the existing variation in color show through, plus it would certainly need a cleaner substrate than you currently have to bond sufficiently. If a solid-colored stain is what you desire, they certainly have issues of their own, and you're still going to need to clean the stains better.

I wouldn't recommend using muriatic on the stoop either, as it will cause even more color issues. A paint scraper with some elbow grease should remove the paint splatters in short order. If not, a simple, safe product like "Goof-Off" or the like should help soften them enough to scrape off.
What's the best kind of paint scraper to try? In the past I believe I tried doing this without success. I can try again.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:28 AM   #12

Quote:

What paint scraper would be the best?
Old 05-21-2012, 11:10 AM   #13

try a razor scrapper.
Fix'n it is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:47 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it
try a razor scrapper.
Tried that with no luck.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:37 PM   #15

Wouldn't paint stripper be my best option here?