Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-20-2012, 10:07 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,030
Share |
Default

Discolored concrete patio


The previous owner left white paint spots all over the concrete porch and as you can tell the concrete is getting very discolored from over the years. I used my pressure washer yesterday, but that didn't do much. What's my best approach to make this area look better?
Attached Thumbnails
Discolored concrete patio-image-3612695862.jpg   Discolored concrete patio-image-1502309737.jpg  

dinosaur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
Concrete & Masonry
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,690
Default

Discolored concrete patio


The paint drips will likely need to be scraped by hand. I would suggest a much more powerful pressure washer for the balance, along with a cleaner like bleach or any of the commercial cleaners available.

jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:03 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,030
Default

Discolored concrete patio


Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45
The paint drips will likely need to be scraped by hand. I would suggest a much more powerful pressure washer for the balance, along with a cleaner like bleach or any of the commercial cleaners available.
The paint drips are 7-8 yrs old though. Can't do it.
dinosaur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:07 AM   #4
Concrete & Masonry
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,690
Default

Discolored concrete patio


Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur1 View Post
The paint drips are 7-8 yrs old though. Can't do it.
Sorry I guess I can't help you then, as I have no idea what this word means. I was brought up by a Father who told me that word didn't exist and should simply be replaced with "I don't want to because I'm too lazy"......

Try harder and scrape the paint off........

Last edited by jomama45; 05-28-2012 at 06:11 PM.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jomama45 For This Useful Post:
kwikfishron (05-20-2012), Ravenworks (05-27-2012)
Old 05-20-2012, 11:13 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,030
Default

Discolored concrete patio


Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45

Sorry I guess I can't help you then, as I have no idea what this word means. I was brought up by a Father who told me that work didn't exist and should simply be replace with "I don't want to because I'm too lazy"......

Try harder and scrape the paint off........
Sorry I should have said the 10 attempts I have made to scrape it off have proven to be unsuccessful.

Last edited by dinosaur1; 05-20-2012 at 12:10 PM.
dinosaur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:11 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,030
Default

Discolored concrete patio


what about concrete stain?
dinosaur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:18 PM   #7
Member
 
concretemasonry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Posts: 3,707
Default

Discolored concrete patio


I think the OP is overly concerned about the condition of something that existed when the property was bought years ago. I would have been much easier to correct then since it may have been a paint job just before the home was listed.

I don't think the "staining" of the concrete is related to the paint spots. Staining might help since it can produce a variable appearance.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:19 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,030
Default

Discolored concrete patio


Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry
I think the OP is overly concerned about the condition of something that existed when the property was bought years ago. I would have been much easier to correct then since it may have been a paint job just before the home was listed.

I don't think the "staining" of the concrete is related to the paint spots. Staining might help since it can produce a variable appearance.

Dick
Should I something like paint stripper or formia/muratic acid?
dinosaur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:23 AM   #9
Concrete & Masonry
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,690
Default

Discolored concrete patio


Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur1 View Post
what about concrete stain?
Any kind of translucent/transparent/opaque stain is still going to allow the existing variation in color show through, plus it would certainly need a cleaner substrate than you currently have to bond sufficiently. If a solid-colored stain is what you desire, they certainly have issues of their own, and you're still going to need to clean the stains better.

I wouldn't recommend using muriatic on the stoop either, as it will cause even more color issues. A paint scraper with some elbow grease should remove the paint splatters in short order. If not, a simple, safe product like "Goof-Off" or the like should help soften them enough to scrape off.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:46 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 70
Default

Discolored concrete patio


Heat gun. It'll remove paint that is older than dirt.

Or ... simply more elbow grease.
Rewound98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rewound98 For This Useful Post:
Ravenworks (05-27-2012)
Old 05-21-2012, 09:51 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,030
Default

Discolored concrete patio


Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45

Any kind of translucent/transparent/opaque stain is still going to allow the existing variation in color show through, plus it would certainly need a cleaner substrate than you currently have to bond sufficiently. If a solid-colored stain is what you desire, they certainly have issues of their own, and you're still going to need to clean the stains better.

I wouldn't recommend using muriatic on the stoop either, as it will cause even more color issues. A paint scraper with some elbow grease should remove the paint splatters in short order. If not, a simple, safe product like "Goof-Off" or the like should help soften them enough to scrape off.
What's the best kind of paint scraper to try? In the past I believe I tried doing this without success. I can try again.
dinosaur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:28 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,030
Default

Discolored concrete patio


Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45

Any kind of translucent/transparent/opaque stain is still going to allow the existing variation in color show through, plus it would certainly need a cleaner substrate than you currently have to bond sufficiently. If a solid-colored stain is what you desire, they certainly have issues of their own, and you're still going to need to clean the stains better.

I wouldn't recommend using muriatic on the stoop either, as it will cause even more color issues. A paint scraper with some elbow grease should remove the paint splatters in short order. If not, a simple, safe product like "Goof-Off" or the like should help soften them enough to scrape off.
What paint scraper would be the best?
dinosaur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:10 AM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far sw sub chicago
Posts: 3,488
Default

Discolored concrete patio


try a razor scrapper.
Fix'n it is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:47 AM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,030
Default

Discolored concrete patio


Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it
try a razor scrapper.
Tried that with no luck.
dinosaur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:37 PM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,030
Default

Discolored concrete patio


Wouldn't paint stripper be my best option here?

dinosaur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Low budget concrete patio, sections at a time... vertigoelectric Flooring 0 01-29-2012 04:13 PM
How to replace concrete patio that extends under a brick wall? brad77 Building & Construction 5 12-26-2011 10:49 PM
Decided to go with new concrete patio gante Landscaping & Lawn Care 0 03-19-2011 11:11 PM
Stain a large concrete patio (or paint?) ArizonaJay Painting 1 11-14-2010 01:02 PM
Extending a Concrete patio luweee Building & Construction 7 05-29-2010 05:52 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.