Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-12-2012, 09:57 PM   #1

Share |

Digging out near foundation

Bought a woodstove a little while ago for next year, now looking for someplace to store my firewood.

Here's where I'm thinking:

Plan on digging the bank back under the deck to be able to fit a pallet width behind the 3 post footings and then stack on that. Was going make up a small wall out of concrete and river rock just to keep the dirt from sluffing onto the wood.

It's a crawlspace on the other side of the concrete wall pictured with the sand floor at about the same level as where the outside grade is now (where the tar paper is sitting right now).

Can anyone see a problem with removing that amount of fill from the backside of the foundation?

burnt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:45 AM   #2
Civil Engineer

Other than the backbreaking labor to dig it out, probably should not affect the house foundation. But storing firewood so close to a wooden deck, and essentially next to the house, is generally not considered a good idea. Firewood tends to attract a variety of insects of the wood eating kind, termites, ants, which may then migrate over to the house and deck. I keep my firewood at least 50 feet away from the house on racks to dry, and I move it into my shed when the wood has dried. That is the procedure have seen recommended on several firewood forums I have visited. My shed is ancient, but at least covered, so if there are some insects in there I am not too worried.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:23 AM   #3

I've heard the same thing but I'm afraid it wouldn't be practical with our place.

The pictures shows the last of the "flat" section of our lot, from there it slopes down at a sharp angle with the only access to the next tier being one steep set of stairs. Besides the constant walking, probably wouldn't be too safe trying to make my way down there in the winter.

Probably not any other way to try to prevent wood insects other than just keep the wood far away right?
burnt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:48 AM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Daniel makes a very good point about termites and carpenter ants. Its a common practice NOT to stack firewood next to a home.

Also, by removing that soil, you are changing your foundation frost level along that location (and you are in Canada).
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote