Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-13-2012, 09:59 PM   #1

Share |

Deteriorated Stone Sill on Exterior Door

I need to know the best way to go about solving the problem with my front door. This is a 120 year old house that I just bought and prior to moving in the house was neglected and had no gutters. New gutters have been installed which is what I believe to have caused the deterioration in the first place (runoff from roof). I am getting ready to repoint the brick stoop and have no idea how to repair the stone sill. Ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Deteriorated Stone Sill on Exterior Door-dsc05869.jpg   Deteriorated Stone Sill on Exterior Door-dsc05898.jpg   Deteriorated Stone Sill on Exterior Door-dsc05897.jpg  

designSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:02 PM   #2

I'd be looking under the house in that area for wood damage.
The whole threshold area was done wrong and the water has to have been leaking behind those bricks for years.
The stone should have been wide enough to have had an overhang over the up right bricks not just butt up to them like it is now.
There really is no way to "fix" stone, for it to look right it's going to have to be replaced.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:06 AM   #3

No wood to rot, the house is solid masonry. I should also add that the porch/stoop was not part of the original structure but added at some later point. The part thats broken in the picture was sort of a sill extender to allow a nice transition from the brick porch to the house. The original cement "footer" bottom part of door frame is not broken it just sits further in towards the interior underneath the broken stone "cap". The porch appears to be poured concrete with real brick veneer.
designSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:37 AM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Ayuh,.... So dig out the chunks, 'n repour concrete in there,...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door frame, sill replacement, stone masonry