Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-02-2013, 07:35 PM   #1

Share |

Cutting rebar to fix leak

My super cut two 1/2" pieces of rebar and some smaller rebar to fix a leak. I'm curious whether it's acceptable (legally or otherwise) to build a building that requires cutting rebar in a case like this. I'm also wondering whether the rebar should be rejoined. I doubt the super has any intention of rejoining the rebar. The rebar was originally spaced at 2-1/2" centers and now it's 5".
Attached Thumbnails
Cutting rebar to fix leak-rebar-cut.jpg  

Last edited by Dorado; 05-02-2013 at 11:10 PM.
Dorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:08 PM   #2

I should also add that he also replaced the pop-up tub stopper for the apartment above me and another section of pipe. I once asked him to fix mine and he says he can install a foot operated one but to replace it with a regular one with a lever he has to wait for the apartment under me to need a repair so he can cut a hole in their ceiling. The guy above me got lucky this time.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:19 PM   #3

I read a post on another forum by a contractor who had to fix a similar problem. He wrote "I came up with a detail to restore the capacity at the new opening in which the slab at the opening is chipped back to expose a min. of 8 inches of the existing slab steel. (It appears to be a two way slab with 5/8" bars @ 8" o/c e.w. bottom) Then a full-strength tension splice is made between the existing steel at each end with new bars using a flat plate and double flare groove welds." I have to decide whether to tell the super not to patch it on Monday because I'm thinking about reinforcing the rebar. Then I may have to talk to the building manager (it's a large co-op) about the building hiring someone.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:17 AM   #4

a DOT/FED accepted/approved method is chip back to sound conc, clean existing rebar, & splice in length of bar overlapped according to size ( length of o'lap = 10 x rebar diam - 3 ties ),,, conc repair is then made w/polymer-modified vertical/overhead patch material

we used this method/material on many hi-rise bldgs in the city + bdge work all over

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote