Cutting Concrete Slab For Trench Drain - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-27-2012, 11:47 AM   #1
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,390

Cutting concrete slab for trench drain

I need to install a trench drain in front of my garage door. Need to cut a slot 5" wide by approx 18' long in the 4" concrete slab (20+ year old concrete if it matters). What is the best way? What machine should I look for at the rental center? Or would I be better off to hire a concrete specialty company?

After the cuts are made, bust it up with a sledge to remove?

Advertisement

Old 03-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,194

I would rent a concrete saw with a diamond blade on a track. It will make perfect cuts. Typically these are gas powered saws, they may come equipped with a water drip system to keep down the dust. If you use it, make sure you wear a NIOSH approved mask, as the dust is extremely harmful if you get it in your lungs.

Advertisement

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:06 PM   #3
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
I would rent a concrete saw with a diamond blade on a track. It will make perfect cuts. Typically these are gas powered saws, they may come equipped with a water drip system to keep down the dust. If you use it, make sure you wear a NIOSH approved mask, as the dust is extremely harmful if you get it in your lungs.
Do you have a picture or link of what the track looks like, because I've never seen one, other than on wall saws...... Certainly not available at a rental store here, but it could be an intersting set-up ot see.

rjniles,

If you're only going to saw out 5", how will you seal the drain up to each side of the slab?

As for the cutting, I'd use a hand held saw if you have the strenght (& back) to support it. Fairly easy to rent, and relatively cheap. Alos, with a handheld, you can hold the saw on the slightest of angles to create a beveled cut-out that will not bind when you remove it. Think of a very slight "V", where the gap gets wider as you pull the pieces upward........
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:53 AM   #4
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,390

Thanks for the feedback.

The drain is 4.75" wide, I plan to use a concrete grout to seal it in the cut concrete.