Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-07-2013, 11:17 AM   #1

Share |

cutting block foundation

Posted this over in windows and thought I would give it a shot here as well.

Quick and easy questinon for the pros out there. What do you use to cut block foundation for installing an egress window? I used a quickie saw when I cut the slab to redo/rough in plumbing in the basement which worked very well and would be nice but that will only go 4.5" deep. I was wondering if there is a miracle saw that will cut all the way through or if Im going to have to cut from both sides.

I contacted a "local" concrete sawing company and they wanted almost 800 just to cut the hole.

Any help is appreciated.

Leroy

lk00331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:44 PM   #2

cutting block foundation

Block are hollow. 4.5" should be plenty. Cut from both sides. Drill holes all the way through to get alignment points. or just measure inside and out from the current opening edge.

Hardway (05-07-2013)
Old 05-07-2013, 01:34 PM   #3

cutting block foundation

Doing this with a concrete chop saw creates a hellacious amount of dust. I borrowed one that had a hose hookup, but was too far from the drain on the inside. I tried putting a plastic around just the window area on the inside and that got too dusty to cut in a matter of seconds.

On the outside, the problem is there is not much room to maneuver in the window well hole. You will still be able to get most of the block cut. Then knock it out and use an angle grinder with a diamond blade to cut out any rough edges.

B
Beepster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:32 PM   #4

cutting block foundation

they were probably quoting wall-saw prices but maybe a chain saw, too,,, our guy hand-saws ( stihl demo saw w/24" blade ) wet & charges $ 350,,, hyd ring saw's about the same price

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:40 PM   #5
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

cutting block foundation

You can't through-drill to locate both sides of all four corners, and just go ahead and saw from both sides?
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:32 PM   #6

cutting block foundation

Depending on how the wall was built-was it cored, horizontal reinforcement-there is an alternative.

You simply remove the blocks you don't need, then replace with 1/2 blocks where you need to tooth back in.

I would get my angle grinder and steel bar ready, along with a wheelbarrow. Simply grind out the joints on the outside edge of your window well. As for the field, just knock out the block with a bar. Then put some 1/2 block back in to make the opening good again.

You don't even need to use an angle grinder. You can knock out the joints with a chisel & hammer if you like.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:45 PM   #7
Concrete & Masonry

cutting block foundation

We do quite a few of these a year, and have for a long time. I can't tell you the best way to do it as a DIY project, but as a pro, I use a combination of a cut-off saw with std. 14" blade, switch that out for a wide blade, and then finish it out with an ICS chainsaw. All the sawing is done from the inside, and a few gallons of water is all that enters the inside. No dust, no fumes, no mis-alignment of the cuts.........
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:30 AM   #8

cutting block foundation

what're the odds some diy'er-h/o has a chain saw lying around fitt'd w/diamond chain & bar let alone wtr-feed OR even has a chain saw at all ? ? ? i'll bet 90% don't even KNOW that tool's been invented let alone avail,,, same w/the ring saw,, hydraulics, wall saw, wire saw, or hi-cycle ? what're those ?

you & i know it but few others i'll bet

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:37 AM   #9
Concrete & Masonry

cutting block foundation

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
what're the odds some diy'er-h/o has a chain saw lying around fitt'd w/diamond chain & bar let alone wtr-feed OR even has a chain saw at all ? ? ? i'll bet 90% don't even KNOW that tool's been invented let alone avail,,, same w/the ring saw,, hydraulics, wall saw, wire saw, or hi-cycle ? what're those ?

you & i know it but few others i'll bet
Re-read the OP, it clearly asks this:

Quick and easy questinon for the pros out there. What do you use to cut block foundation for installing an egress window?

I gave him as accurate an answer as I possibly could.........
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:10 AM   #10

cutting block foundation

Thanks for all the responses!

As for knowing what tools are available, no I wasnt totally sure so I asked. My original plan was to drill a through holes in the four corners to give me the boundaries.

I have heard of a chainsaw with a diamond blade but never used one. Just wanted to know what the pro's recommended.

Thanks again!

lk00331 is offline   Reply With Quote