Cultured Stone fireplace
Hi! First time here and first time doing a cultured stone fireplace. And I'm a girl....so be nice:)!
So....we have waited for our guy to show up to put the cultured stone on our fireplace....and we wait. So I decided to do it myself. I just completed my tiled shower and it turned out awesome! Not that difficult! So, I figure, if anyone can do it....so can I! Here's a couple questions I need help with!
1. This guy made us put waterproof rubber sealer on the fireplace walls to prep for the stone.....can I just scratch coat on this and then butter the stone and lay it?
2. I didn't buy any corner pieces because this guy said he has a way he does the corners....can we miter the corners? I know it probably won't be a perfect fit, but is it possible?
3. What kind of mortar should I use to lay the stone?
4. What's better....drystack or mortared joints?
I know this is a packed thread.....but I figured I might as well ask them all. Wish I would have found this website earlier as my husband and I have built our house ourselves. We've been working on it for 16 months now and getting very close to the end. Exciting....but I need to get this fireplace done. Thanks!
When not using premade corners, you have to stagger each piece. This type of corner never looks all that good and is only ever done with real stone. I would get some corners or risk dissatisfaction with your end result. Def worth the investment.
Def use type S mortar. Same price, stronger hold. Why not, right?
Rubber membrane? Where in the world did this guy come from?
The order should go, 15/32 OSB, Metal lathe, parge/scratch coat and stone.
When you butter the stone, you cant just smear mortar on the back. Butter the perimeter of the back of the stone so when you set it, it gets a nice suction. You can actually hear it. You cant break the suction once you set the stone or you risk breaking the bond.
Because its precast stone, start from the top. Work your way down keeping everything clean. Once all the stone is set, come back next day and fill all the joints. Im sure theres many videos which can give you some visual aid.
So i lost my internet after posting my questions...so forgive me for not thanking you all earlier. I did go ahead and laid the stones on this waterproof rubber membrane which I was assured was going to work....and it did! I did butter the stones like you said and there was no problem with suction! I did end up mitering the corners....and where they don't look perfect, I would say it doesn't look so bad for someone who has never done it before!! I ended up with a thinset called Superflex which again, I was assured would work. I am in the process of cleaning and fitting my barn beam for the mantle and will share a picture with you when I am finished. Thanks for your help!
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:08 AM.|
Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved