Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-16-2013, 01:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Crushing granite

I am building a fire pit out of river rock that i collected at the river and granite that is on my property. The granite pieces are about baseball to softball size.

Crushing granite-image-1695008374.jpg

Here is what I started out with. For the circle part, in going to use the big granite chunks and use less of the flat rock. For the small walkway, I am crushing the granite to quarter size.

Crushing granite-image-3144823381.jpg

I have quite a bit more to crush. Right now my method is beating it with a sledge hammer on a piece of iron. Any ideas on how I can do it a little easier and more efficient?

chadjohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6

Crushing granite

That whole area should have been dug out at least 8", a few inches of crush and run then sand to set the stones in to try and get them to sit level.
(as far off as those stone from being flat or the same thickness, good luck with that.)
You can buy crush stone by the truck load.
There's a reason in the old days they called it hard labor the way your trying to do.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:55 PM   #3

Crushing granite

GOD BLESS YOU ! about the only way to make it easier is to use a 16# sledge instead of that 12#,,, but, more importantly, here's something i recall from Boy Scout days - NEVER use rock from a stream for a firepit as it will explode seems to me being hit w/hot rock shrapnel would put a damper on the evening's festivities, no ?

from my days working w/granite, seem to recall granite is an igneous form of rock & not suited to firepits, either,,, but that just may be an old wives' tale <-----

if you want to do this work commando style, have at it,,, personally i can, like joe, think of better uses of my time than breaking rock
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:01 PM   #4

Crushing granite

Granite is formed under extreme heat and pressure. It'll be safe to use. As far as the river rock, it will be placed far enough away from the center of the put to affect it. I'm a geologist so rock properties is one thing I can handle.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #5

Crushing granite

well, professor geologist, then why's it call'd ' igneous ' ? ? ? as i remember, there're 3 types of rock - sedimentary ( marble, etc ), igneous ( already discuss'd - was taught it was a liquid mass that cool'd ), & metamorphic,,, but you already know that, right ?

far's as crushing rock, when we make crushed stone, the primary crushers are jaw & cone,,, the ' hammermill ' type is another,,, you chose that 1 albeit power'd by you
at least granite's rather brittle w/little flexural strength,,, it easily cleaves along its ' head ' grain but seldom cleanly along its ' rift ' or cross-grain

for those other ignorants reading this thread, here's a quickie primer ' http://geology.about.com/od/more_igrocks/a/granite.htm '
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:14 PM   #6

Crushing granite

Igneous rock is formed from the cooling and solidification of magma and lava. Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:18 PM   #7

Crushing granite

I don't have much more to crush. I guess I'll continue pounding it out. At least the finished product will mean a little more with the extra sweat out into it.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:44 PM   #8
Concrete & Masonry

Crushing granite

I think you're making the fire ring with granite, I'd be careful. It "may" not explode , but it will most likely crack, especially if it's as small of a diameter as shown in the pics..........
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:18 PM   #9

Crushing granite

You aren't really making your own crushed rock! Oh please tell me you aren't going at rock with a sledge hammer when it is so cheap at the store.
Toller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #10

Crushing granite

Crushed granite that I have to pay for...crushed granite that's free with a little sweat and tears. Yea. I'll take it free.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:26 PM   #11

Crushing granite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45
I think you're making the fire ring with granite, I'd be careful. It "may" not explode , but it will most likely crack, especially if it's as small of a diameter as shown in the pics..........
The stuff going around the fire pit itself is baseball sized and bigger. Cracking will more than likely happen over time, but with the way in building it, I won't need to worry about that.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:08 AM   #12

Crushing granite

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadjohnston View Post
Crushed granite that I have to pay for...crushed granite that's free with a little sweat and tears. Yea. I'll take it free.
I will use this quote as my motivation for the day.

one cut is offline   Reply With Quote