Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2013, 03:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Lightbulb

Crumblings on the edge of a new Concrete Footing

Hello,

(My first post here!)

I had a new concrete patio done about a month ago. I noticed that the edges of the patio footing does not go all the way to the sidewalk level, and it is jagged and uneven. The edge of the footing is a foot away from the sidewalk, and 1-3 inches above the sidewalk level. (Please see the pictures).

The contractor says this is normal. I am concerned that when it rains, the moisture will get under there and the edges will eventually crumble. And not to mention it looks ugly from the side.

Is this really normal, or should I ask the contractor to fix it to reach the level of the sidewalk?

Thanks for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Crumblings on the edge of a new Concrete Footing-img_2259-large-.jpg   Crumblings on the edge of a new Concrete Footing-img_2258-large-.jpg  

Contractor9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,640

Looks like a normal sidewalk to me except that it is not underground where you would not normally see it.
Can you take a photo from further back so we can see the surrounding landscape topography.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:32 PM   #3

Exclamation

Thanks for the reply. Here is a picture from farther back.
Attached Thumbnails
Crumblings on the edge of a new Concrete Footing-img_2264.jpg  
Old 08-28-2013, 09:28 PM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,032

I don't think that's normal, just as that errant crack outside the joint isn't normal either...........
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jomama45 For This Useful Post:
Contractor9 (08-28-2013)
Old 08-29-2013, 10:30 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 600

The distance away from the sidewalk isn't a problem, the fact that the bottom of the slab is exposed is definitely a problem. He should've put a turndown edge on the slab so the edge of the slab was below the surface grade and that of the sidewalk. The best way to correct it now would be to excavate the area between the sidewalk and the slab to the bottom of the sidewalk then form and pour a small retaining wall that goes up a couple inches onto the side of the edge of the patio.

You didn't state where you live but if you get freezing temperatures and frost that edge is really going to become a problem.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:44 PM   #6

jomama45, Msradell: Thanks for your suggestions.

BTW, I live in Sacramento, CA.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:59 PM   #7
World's Tallest Midget

Rewards Points: 504

That's how patios look before they have backfill brought in. I'd probably do that small retaining wall thing, for one it'll look better, and for two, it'll keep from getting undermined. I wouldn't worry too much about it crumbling and falling into the sidewalk, but it kinda looks like hell.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:00 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,214

looks like any normal ' pour ' below the bottom of the forms to me,,, too bad the guy didn't think to plaster cement over the side which would've dress'd it up & everything would've been kopasetic,,, certainly not too late to do it now - its only 15 or 20 min work

the crk appears to me exactly as the contractor planned OR the conc reacted,,, when we cut concrete highways OR any other slab, 1 can only saw so deep,,, its the conc that cracks from the bottom UP & reaches towards the sawcut,,, that's the nature conc,,, better contractors know this & install proper joint patterns IF its a random crk NOT associated w/any control joint ( sawed OR scored ), that's an f/u due to either ignorance, laziness, OR stupicity

IF this is the case ( can't tell from your pics ), you got a good job - just needs some dressing up as mentioned previously,,, good luck !

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote