Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-04-2012, 10:39 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Cracks through brick and mortar

I've got a small crack running through mortar as well as splitting a brick or two. The crack runs down to the bottom layer brick which meets a sidewalk. I'm concerned about water getting in the crack and making things worse. I've never patched any bricks/mortar issues before... and I imagine there is a pretty simple solution. I've seen sealant products that are silicone or polymer based and I've also seen cements to patch it with. What works best in this case?

FYI I live in CO where we have many many freezes/thaws per year.

Pic attached.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Cracks through brick and mortar-photo-9-.jpg  

funperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

When cracks run through the bricks (rather than just stepped-fashion along the joints) it can be an indication of problems, such as settlement. I should be more concerned about what has caused (or is causing) the crack, rather than the issue of water penetration.

tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:26 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 504

You can see the crack in the slab, obviously you are having settlement issues. Fix that, then repair the brickwork with a good sealant after you cut the joint out to the proper width and depth.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:52 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
You can see the crack in the slab, obviously you are having settlement issues. Fix that, then repair the brickwork with a good sealant after you cut the joint out to the proper width and depth.
Thanks for the replies. It is just coincidence that the 'crack' in the slab is exactly in the same place as the crack through the brick and mortar. That is only a separation of slabs... not an actual crack. When you say 'cut the joint out to the proper width and depth'... can you explain more? What does 'joint' refer to? Again, apologies in advance... not much of a brick/mortar guy... but want to learn.

Thanks
funperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:21 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,324

Quote:
Originally Posted by funperro View Post
T When you say 'cut the joint out to the proper width and depth'... can you explain more? What does 'joint' refer to?
the joint is the crack. look at your pic. see where there are 2 bricks up towards the top, where the crack is dug out. you need to dig out the entire crack like that. this is a place for the new mortar to go.

if you tried to put new mortar in the crack as it is, you would not get far, waist your time, and it would not last at all.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:58 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

The crack in the bottom course of brickwork may line up with a joint in the foundation. However, that does not mean you have no structural problem with the foundation.
Hairline cracks running step-fashion up the mortar joints are common in brickwork and do not necessarily indicate any problems, but those cracks are more than hairline. It takes considerable force to crack a brick and cracks running through bricks can often indicate more serious issues. In fact, as the crack coincides with a joint in the foundation, this would make it more likely that it is foundation movement which has caused the crack in the first place.
This is NOT to say that your home is at risk, but it might be sensible to get a surveyor or SE to have a look at it and advise.
tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:53 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 504

I am not sure why you think it is coincidence, I can see vertical separation on the right, and the size as well as the direction of the crack directly indicate structural movement.