Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-11-2012, 12:54 PM   #1

Share |

Crack in stucco

Hi,

I'm wondering if I should be concerned about crack in stucco. The biggest crack has width about 1/16". The stucco covers poured concrete and concrete doesn't have any cracks. Do I need to fix it? What should be done to fix it correctly?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Crack in stucco-img_2029.jpg   Crack in stucco-img_2030.jpg  

barmaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
JOATMON

Crack in stucco

I'm surprised they used stucco in your neck of the woods. It was my understanding that it does not do well in freezing climates. Stucco is not water proof....hence, if it gets wet....and then you get a freeze.....it will crack.

Anyway....HD and Lowes sell a stucco patch compound.....stuff is pretty tough....use a putty knife to push it into the crack...smooth the best you can....the stuff has sand in it so it should pretty much match the texture of your existing wall. You will have to paint it after it drys.

Fix it as soon as as you can...otherwise, you more water in through the crack and that can cause more cracking if you have a cold snap.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:12 PM   #3

Crack in stucco

"Stucco is not water proof....hence, if it gets wet....and then you get a freeze.....it will crack."

Stucco is water proof,and was used extensively in the midwestern part of the country for many years,and i personally know of many buildings in Illinois,Wisconsin,Minnesota,and Iowa that still stand today,with no problems whatsoever.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #4

Crack in stucco

There are no expansion joints in your stucco, so it cracked close to where the expansion joints should have been. You can use a polyurethane sealant to patch it, but you will have more cracks in similar areas around your house (windows and doors).
Old 11-13-2012, 07:39 PM   #5

Crack in stucco

I'll try to fix it soon.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:32 PM   #6
JOATMON

Crack in stucco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
"Stucco is not water proof....hence, if it gets wet....and then you get a freeze.....it will crack."

Stucco is water proof,and was used extensively in the midwestern part of the country for many years,and i personally know of many buildings in Illinois,Wisconsin,Minnesota,and Iowa that still stand today,with no problems whatsoever.
While I have no reason to doubt your statement that it's used up North without issue.....it is not totally water proof....

http://apptekstucco.com/stucco101/stucco-damage

Quote:
Properly installed stucco can last many decades; at least 40-50 years under normal conditions. But stucco long life can be shortened dramatically by certain influences. Typically, the influence with the greatest impact is moisture intrusion. Of course stucco is designed as a “building envelope” which, by its nature, protects against the rain and other sources of moisture from the outside (like normal overspray from sprinkler systems). In these scenarios, the stucco immediately sheds the bulk of the water, and only minor amounts are absorbed, and that which is absorbed is typically dried out by the sun and breeze – thereby removing the possibility of damage to the stucco system.
Unusual and early deterioration of stucco systems almost always takes place when water finds its way inside the building envelope. Water that enters the system and remains there will be unable to dry out quickly and can do serious damage to all components of the stucco system, including wood framing, metal components like lath, and of course the stucco itself.
If it was totally waterproof....there would not be a need for weep screed at the bottom....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:28 PM   #7

Crack in stucco

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
While I have no reason to doubt your statement that it's used up North without issue.....it is not totally water proof....

http://apptekstucco.com/stucco101/stucco-damage

If it was totally waterproof....there would not be a need for weep screed at the bottom....

Well, some of the buildings i know are well over a 100 years old,and back then there were no weep screed's,and what ever they did seemed to work just fine,and the building's still stand today as a testement to their building methods and workmanship.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:18 PM   #8
Guywithskills

Crack in stucco

Bare stucco is not water proof. When you paint it, it is water proof. Paint is latex which is rubber.
Stucco is nearly guaranteed to crack. It is a cement product, therefore it will crack. Most stucco companies will come back after a couple months and patch the cracks with latex caulk. Apply only enough to fill crack, use a damp brush to remove excess, all that is possible. You apply too much, it will show and be quite unattractive. So it is a process of applying a little and working it into the crack. If too much, wet brush a little more to remove excess. Do not leave a small section until it is good. too come back after it has dried even a few minutes is not good.
Guywithskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:36 AM   #9

Crack in stucco

Thank you all! I've applied Sashco Sealants Beige MorFlexx and it looks good so far.