Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Crack in concrete foundation

I am not worried about this crack since from what I have read, vertical cracks are normally not a big deal. Only thing you need to worry about is water getting in.

So im going to call some local places and get estimates. Anything I should be looking for/watching out for and what does repairing a crack like this normally run?

Thanks.

bsmith717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,020

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith717 View Post
I am not worried about this crack since from what I have read, vertical cracks are normally not a big deal. Only thing you need to worry about is water getting in.

So im going to call some local places and get estimates. Anything I should be looking for/watching out for and what does repairing a crack like this normally run?

Thanks.

Unless your getting water,don't worry about it.

Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:59 PM   #3
World's Tallest Midget

Rewards Points: 504

What would you hope to accomplish? Its not unsound structurally, it isn't leaking. You'd be spending money to fix a problem that doesn't exist.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mort For This Useful Post:
bsmith717 (09-06-2012)
Old 09-06-2012, 12:03 AM   #4

Do you guys not see the water markings down the crack or on the floor of the basement?

I'm just looking for some advice for when I call up/have the crack repair companies at my home.

Even if there wasn't any water yet, wouldn't it still be a better plan to have this crack sealed ASAP?
Old 09-06-2012, 12:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Do you guys not see the water markings down the crack or on the floor of the basement?

I'm just looking for some advice for when I call up/have the crack repair companies at my home.

Even if there wasn't any water yet, wouldn't it still be a better plan to have this crack sealed ASAP?

Well,if you have water intrusion and want to seal the crack,you would probably want to use a polyurethane seal,since the size of the crack looks to be very small, you can buy kits for this purpose for varying lengths,i'll include a link to one if you can't purchase locally.

http://dependabledepot.com/--sealboss-diy-kits--.aspx
Old 09-06-2012, 02:24 PM   #6

I know absolutely nothing about sealing cracks in concrete. Do you not think this is something that should be handled by a professional?
Old 09-06-2012, 04:50 PM   #7

Quote:
I know absolutely nothing about sealing cracks in concrete. Do you not think this is something that should be handled by a professional?

It's totally up to you,instructions come with the kits,but if your not confortable making the repair,hire it out.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:22 PM   #8

Maybe I'm just worrying too much? I have no problem installing electrical boxes/fixtures, repairing walls (interior), heck even rebuilding an engine off some lawn equipment. This just seems to have more consequence associated with an improper application. Plus the pros have a warranty should there be any issues.

Have any of you sealed/repaired foundation cracks?

Also, the crack is also on the exterior wall. Perhaps that's a given but I'm not sure. Looks like it extends above where my siding starts too.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Maybe I'm just worrying too much? I have no problem installing electrical boxes/fixtures, repairing walls (interior), heck even rebuilding an engine off some lawn equipment. This just seems to have more consequence associated with an improper application. Plus the pros have a warranty should there be any issues.

Have any of you sealed/repaired foundation cracks?

Also, the crack is also on the exterior wall. Perhaps that's a given but I'm not sure. Looks like it extends above where my siding starts too.

If your able to do all of the above jobs,you can repair a crack in your foundation,piece of cake just follow the instructions,you'll be proud of yourself when it's done,and of all the money you saved by doing it yourself.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:15 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 500

Maybe just my eyes but it looks like some of the water signs on that wall are not related to that crack. It almost looks like its come in from the sill over to the right of that joint.
Evstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #11

That dark spot on the bottom right of the pix is the sump pump lid.