Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2013, 02:23 PM   #1

Share |

condensation on basement windows

I keep getting condensation on our basement windows and I'm not sure how to stop this, without having to open a window.

Sorry for the bad picture, but this is one of those pop out windows. There is no caulking around the window from the inside or outside. The only way I can prevent the condensation is by opening one of the basement windows to let the dry cold air in.
Attached Thumbnails
condensation on basement windows-img_20131107_141347.jpg  

word2yamutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:27 PM   #2

Why is there no caulking? One sure way to have condensation is to have air leaks.
Checked the humidity level in the basement? It should be about 50% higher and there's going to be condensation.
Are they single or double paned windows?
Are they aluminum framed?

gregzoll (11-19-2013)
Old 11-07-2013, 06:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by word2yamutha View Post
I keep getting condensation on our basement windows and I'm not sure how to stop this, without having to open a window.

Sorry for the bad picture, but this is one of those pop out windows. There is no caulking around the window from the inside or outside. The only way I can prevent the condensation is by opening one of the basement windows to let the dry cold air in.

Get one of those plastic storm window kits as a temporary stopgap,until you can do it right,you can get them at HD or Lowes.

http://www.conservationmart.com/p-37...indow-kit.aspx
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:40 PM   #4

Well I was looking to replace the windows, but don't have the money saved up for it. They are aluminum frame. The humidity level in he basement is around 70%. The only reason I haven't caulked it yet is because It looks like they are meant to be popped open, but I forgot I could use a plastic storm window kit. Thanks for the advice guys.

Also, what would be the proper procedure to replace the current windows? Maybe something like this http://www.homedepot.com/p/TAFCO-WIN...5#.Un0_GPmfiYI

Last edited by word2yamutha; 11-08-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Well I was looking to replace the windows, but don't have the money saved up for it. They are aluminum frame. The humidity level in he basement is around 70%. The only reason I haven't caulked it yet is because It looks like they are meant to be popped open, but I forgot I could use a plastic storm window kit. Thanks for the advice guys.

Also, what would be the proper procedure to replace the current windows? Maybe something like this http://www.homedepot.com/p/TAFCO-WIN...5#.Un0_GPmfiYI

All depends on how long you plan on being there,and how deep your pockets are.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:49 PM   #6

Aluminum frames transfer the heat or cold.
That basement is way to humid and you should be running a dehumidifier.
Single paned windows will always form condensation.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:42 PM   #7

How big of a dehumidifier should I buy for a basement? My house is about 1300 sq ft, not including the basement.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #8

Quote:
How big of a dehumidifier should I buy for a basement? My house is about 1300 sq ft, not including the basement.

If your only going to dehumidify the basement,something like the 70 pint unit in this link would work,but google basement dehumidifiers for more info on them.

http://www.abt.com/category/331/Dehu...FSdp7AodrwUAHg
Old 11-19-2013, 08:52 AM   #9
Mold!! Let's kill it!

If you have sustained RH levels at 70%, you can count on growing mold someplace. Get a dehumidifier and get it below 55%. Condensation is a product of both humidity and temperature. Cold surface and high humidiy levels will insure condensation, not only on the glass, but on any other cold wall surfaces as well. Adding storm windows or better quality windows may alleviate the condensation on the glass by keeping the surface above dew point, but will not reduce the humidity level.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:41 PM   #10

Well it ranges from 60 to 70% humidity. I was going to buy some better quality storm window, but I'm not sure how to install one.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:15 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

What I did with my basement windows, is took Aluminum foil faced foam board, and placed that over my basement windows, then caulked around the panel. I got tired of them leaking so bad, especially that during the Summer it would cause the basement to get humid and warmer, Winter below 50.

Placing the foam panels over the windows has help tremendously, in keeping the basement warm. You still get some light through the panels, since the foil is more of a mylar. I have just left them in place all the time, since it helps to keep the basement warmer during the Winter, and cooler during the Summer. Plus humidity level stays in the mid to high 40's down there, temp; in the low 60's at Winter, high 60's in the Summer.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:07 PM   #12

You can use this link to determine what glass pane temperature must be maintained to prevent condensation there.

Solve for dew point temperature by adjusting the scales to the basement air temperature and humidity percent. The calculation will be made that tells you what the glass pane temperature will be when condensation begins to form. Either elevate the glass temperature in some manner, insulation, storms, double pane windows etc. or lower the moisture content of the room.

http://dpcalc.org/
Fairview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairview View Post
You can use this link to determine what glass pane temperature must be maintained to prevent condensation there.

Solve for dew point temperature by adjusting the scales to the basement air temperature and humidity percent. The calculation will be made that tells you what the glass pane temperature will be when condensation begins to form. Either elevate the glass temperature in some manner, insulation, storms, double pane windows etc. or lower the moisture content of the room.

http://dpcalc.org/
So my basement temp at the time was 61F and the humidity was 62%. The dewpoint temp shows me 48F(hopefully I did this correctly). Currently there isn't any condensation on the window, but when there is I will use this tool. Thanks for the help
Old 11-21-2013, 02:28 PM   #14
Retired from the grind

You need to take into consideration of what it is outside also. The factor of the two numbers, will determine if your windows are going to have moisture on them or not.

Right now Dew Point outside in my area is 47f. Inside it is 52f in my basement (64f, 65% rh). Upstairs dewpoint is 53f, at 68f, 59% rh. This also takes into fact that it is raining outside, but inside no moisture on my windows what so ever. The key is keeping it within inside as it is outside.

As long as you keep air movement in your basement, keep it conditioned during Summer & Winter, your basement will stay reasonable. You need to either cover the window openings for now, until you replace the windows, or replace the windows with better units.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote