Concrete Walkway - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Concrete Walkway

I want to pour a concrete walkway along the side of my house to eliminate unsightly weeds. I can see having a retainer board along the outside and blocking pieces of plywood at 3 foot intervals so that I can manage my pour but how do I deal with the side next to the house? I was thinking I need to be able to draw a board across the top of the concrete to level things or to get a slight slope for run off but with no board next to the wall what do I do? Maybe I have it all wrong.

I need to manage the pour because my back is bad if I can por this in 3 or 4 sections I can do it over say 2 weekends. I plan to rent a mixer.
A photo would be real helpful
Attached Images

Advertisement

clemkonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,164

Concrete Walkway

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemkonan View Post
I want to pour a concrete walkway along the side of my house to eliminate unsightly weeds. I can see having a retainer board along the outside and blocking pieces of plywood at 3 foot intervals so that I can manage my pour but how do I deal with the side next to the house? I was thinking I need to be able to draw a board across the top of the concrete to level things or to get a slight slope for run off but with no board next to the wall what do I do? Maybe I have it all wrong.

I need to manage the pour because my back is bad if I can por this in 3 or 4 sections I can do it over say 2 weekends. I plan to rent a mixer.
A photo would be real helpful
If your talking about that narrow strip between the bricks and i assume your house,you would use expansion joint against the house side,but if you have a bad back why in the world would you want to use a concrete mixer,that sure wont do your back any good,by the way you need to set the expansion joint about a quarter inch higher than the oppisite form board for pitch.

A ouart of Roundup concentrate is only $20.00 and will keep those weeds at bay forever,and your back will thank you.

Advertisement

Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canarywood1 For This Useful Post:
bcgfdc3 (05-24-2013), Willie T (05-26-2013)
Old 05-26-2013, 02:11 AM   #3
World's Tallest Midget

Rewards Points: 542

Concrete Walkway

When you're next to an existing wall, a snap line is used, you trowel off a bit next to it with a mag, then screed off of that. At least, I think that's what you're asking.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Concrete Walkway

By all means, use an expansion strip. And I would give it even more than a quarter inch run-off, considering the rains and wind we get down here.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Willie T For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2013, 08:54 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,468

Concrete Walkway

the right guys can do this in a day & all you'd have to do is watch from a lawnchair
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:23 AM   #6
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Concrete Walkway

It takes a few years working with the stuff to begin to understand what concrete does, and why... let alone have it become second-nature to you to simply do it right, from start to finish.

It's easy to a pro, but can be very frustrating to you. This frustration will invariably mean a screwed-up job on your part. I've never seen anyone do concrete even close to right the first few times. Hire it done, and watch.

Advertisement

Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Willie T For This Useful Post: