DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

concrete slab poor against foundation without a expansion joint

31K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  stadry 
#1 ·
I have a concrete patio poored in my back yard at a home I recently bought. There is no expansion joint up against the foundation of the home or against a brick bar that was also built in the back yard. I understand that there should be one there. What can I do now to help prevent the cement from becoming totally ruined in the future. I am ok with a little chipping and cracking or cement around the foundation, but If it is going to cause major problems what can I do to prevent them. The slab poored against the foundation has started to chip a little bit after 4 years. I can live with how it looks now and even a little more chipping, but I don't want to have to replace the whole slab in the future. Any suggestions???

#16 ·
Stuff like this get's me upset, I see it all too often. There should have unquestionably been expansion material between the house foundation and concrete slab, as well as the brick bar and slab. I wouldn't recommend one between the two slabs though. Also, an additional control joint off of the corner of the drain should have been a "no-brainer" for someone who does concrete for a living.

As far as retro-cutting expansion in now? I don't no how you'd do it up against the foundation and bar, every saw is going to have some kind of arbor & guard that will keep you a few inches away, and besides, it would take forever to cut. I would just keep a good eye on the slab at the foundation, make sure it doesn't settle much, as that can put a decent load on the top of the foundation........

#11 ·
I really don't see any problems that need rectifying, personally. It looks like normal, acceptable wear to me. Concrete, like any other material, isn't perfect, especially when placed outdoors. It's not something you should worry about.

#12 ·
I agree with Mort, nothing that needs fixin' right now. probably have more issues with heave in the winter than expansion in the summer. if it was me I'm pour myself a nice tall cool one with an umbrella in it and watch the slab to see if anything happens ...... worst things in life

#17 ·
probably the color'd conc will spall & reveal some uncolor'd conc eventually,,, IF you find you need expansion jnt mtl between the 2 slabs, you'll need to cut it full-depth otherwise all you'll be doing is creating a joint sealant reservoir for whatever jnt sealant you select,,, there'll still be point contact & ' loading ' below the jnt sealant negating any benefit to jnt sealants

who's the idiot :jester: who didn't think there'd be a re-entrant crk off the drain ? there are some flush cut saws avail but they're pro ONLY equipment,,, live w/it for now
:yes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.