Concrete Sidewalk Against Foundation - Leaking - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-05-2013, 02:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Concrete sidewalk against foundation - leaking

The previous owners of my house installed a concrete sidewalk all along the foundation at back of the house. There's maybe a quarter inch gap between the sidewalk and the house. Since our backyard has a substantial slope (sloping along the foundation wall), this sidewalk slopes as well. Lastly, the sidewalk slightly slopes towards the foundation. As you can imagine, when it rains, water comes down the sidewalk, up against the foundation, and the basement gets wet.

I really really don't want to rip up this sidewalk, so I'm looking for ideas other than demolition Right now the best idea I can come up with is to form a small "curb" along the foundation on top of the sidewalk, put in some backer rod along the gap in between the foundation and the curb, then seal it with Vulkem 45. This would achieve both objectives: creating a long-term water tight seal, and keeping all water away from the foundation wall. But I'm just now realizing that there may be an issue with forming this curb on top of old concrete. What other options are there? Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks!!!

Advertisement

zrooster99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:20 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,566

The foundation has cracks and weeping tiles are not draining the water or the basement would dry no matter what water flows on the sidewalk.
Digging on the outside is the only real way to fix it once and for all.

Advertisement

Old 06-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

I don't know much about weeping tiles... but my foundation is concrete block, if that makes any difference?
zrooster99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:13 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,164

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrooster99 View Post
I don't know much about weeping tiles... but my foundation is concrete block, if that makes any difference?

Here's a link that will show you what weeping tile is,and what it does click on the thumbnails.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...QEwAw&dur=1570
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canarywood1 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2013, 09:25 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,716

if you built this curb. would there be somewhere for the water to drain to ?
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:12 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,484

to get away on the cheap, form & place a conc ' curb ' on top of the walk against the bsmt wall,,, try to bond the new curb to the sidwalk & cut jnts to match the walk's jnts,,, we'd use sill-seal 'tween the conc & house then, after curing, trim the sill-seal to create a reservoir for sealant,,, we'd use 100% silicone or sika polyurethane,,, the sill-seal acts as backer rod.

we'd probably also coat the whole curb AND 1" of the walk w/something like abyss or sani-tre,,, to get away cheaper, insert backer rod into the jnt & seal,,, then abyss or sani-tred,,, as others have noted, wtr has to have someplace to go,,, hopefully AWAY from your very fine home :-)

Advertisement

Last edited by stadry; 06-06-2013 at 07:15 AM.
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote