Concrete Repair - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2012, 02:51 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Concrete repair


Have a new concrete driveway. Just the other day I noticed after the dumpster truck pulled off he cracked about a 1 foot corner of my driveway. Does anyone know the best way to fix it!! Any help is appreciated!!

Advertisement

limuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:20 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 9,999
Rewards Points: 2,064
Default

Concrete repair


Welcome to the forums!

I'll move you "Concrete, etc." for better response. If you didn't sign a waiver before they delivered it against damage to property, call and discuss it with the owner.

Gary

Advertisement

__________________
If any ads are present in my answer above, I do not condone/support/use the product or services listed, they are there against my permission.
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary in WA For This Useful Post:
limuel (04-05-2012)
Old 04-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #3
Member
 
Ravenworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 598
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Concrete repair


Well normally drivers will NOT gothe curb,did you spot the roll off there?
How bad it the crack? If it's bad you will either have to live with it or saw cut it out and replace it. Either way it's going to look bad.
Ravenworks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ravenworks For This Useful Post:
limuel (04-05-2012)
Old 04-05-2012, 09:01 PM   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Concrete repair


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenworks
Well normally drivers will NOT gothe curb,did you spot the roll off there?
How bad it the crack? If it's bad you will either have to live with it or saw cut it out and replace it. Either way it's going to look bad.
No I spotted it away from the driveway and I didn't sign a waiver or anything. It broke all the way through, I can see it down the sides, on a better note the crack just looks like a spider crack so I may just live with it. Thanks again for your help!! I'm new to this site and so far it's great!!!
limuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:41 PM   #5
Member
 
Ravenworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 598
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Concrete repair


Since you didn't tell him to put it there,you need to contact the roll off company,they are responsible.
One thing I know is almost ALL truck companies will not allow their trucks on private property just for this reason.
If it's a new drive way i would be getting it fixed,it's only going to get worst.
Ravenworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:20 AM   #6
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Concrete repair


First and foremost, you should contact the company that drove onto your driveway and cracked it. Most large companies i.e. UPS, Fed Ex and others have a policy against driving on a residential driveway. If your crack/break is a through crack, over time it will break completely and sink or become lopsided. If you do not want to contact the company, then Home Depot sells two products that may help. 1. Sakrete Concrete and Mortar Repair or 2. Sakrete Concrete Filler. What these products will accomplish is they will seal the joints to prevent water from entering. Your problems will start when water is inside the joints and it freezes, when this happens, the concrete will completely break or start to move apart. The hydrostatic pressure from water is your enemy.
Hope this helps and good luck.
Terrie@Basalite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Terrie@Basalite For This Useful Post:
limuel (04-06-2012)
Old 04-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 12
Rewards Points: 10
Thumbs up

Concrete repair


legal action is an alternative couse of action, however, through my experience, legal isn't always the best way. Also if you call the company, they more than likely will do a not so good of a job. I am currently repairing the cracks in my driveway. I have used many products out their (quikrete, dap). The first product that I used was a concrete caulking. It filled in the gaps between the cracks, and what I mean by cracks is the cracks that are noticed after removing the boards from the poured concrete on a driveway. After I had the gaps in the cracks filled with the caulking, I used quikrete crack repair (http://www.quikrete.com/ProductLines/ConcreteCrackSeal.asp).
You can order it at lowers. That is the only place I have bought it at, it more than likely is sold at other places, however I bought it at lowes.
I found it worked great, however, you have to play with it a little bit to figure out how much to use to prevent cracks from reappearing. I Utilized just about every product from quikrete and found I didn't care for quikrete once I found dap presto patcho. It is a weatherproff patching compound that can be used inside or outside. So far, I like this product better. It cures alot faster. All you have to do is let it dry from 1 to 5 hours and then sand it. I prefer to let it dry overnight to ensure that it is completely cured. Just don't use it if it is going to rain in the same day as your application of it. It will cure poorly and leave you with more work.
Now, with this product, you will have to do different layers because of the sanding. I would suggest with small cracks, use a little bit of water with it. It is an already mixed product, so don't use much water. With larger cracks or areas to have to cover, don't use water. This product is paintable as well. I would suggest repainting or staining what ever area you would apply this product on, because it comes out white. I'm sure it is like concrete, adding color to the bucket prior to use might work, however I am not sure. You may want to contact dap.com to find out.
I hope this helps.

Last edited by rfrick7@yahoo.c; 04-12-2012 at 08:55 PM.
rfrick7@yahoo.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:07 PM   #8
Member
 
Ravenworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 598
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Concrete repair


Quote:
Originally Posted by rfrick7@yahoo.c View Post
legal action is an alternative couse of action, however, through my experience, legal isn't always the best way. Also if you call the company, they more than likely will do a not so good of a job. I am currently repairing the cracks in my driveway. I have used many products out their (quikrete, dap). The first product that I used was a concrete caulking. It filled in the gaps between the cracks, and what I mean by cracks is the cracks that are noticed after removing the boards from the poured concrete on a driveway. After I had the gaps in the cracks filled with the caulking, I used quikrete crack repair (http://www.quikrete.com/ProductLines/ConcreteCrackSeal.asp).
You can order it at lowers. That is the only place I have bought it at, it more than likely is sold at other places, however I bought it at lowes.
I found it worked great, however, you have to play with it a little bit to figure out how much to use to prevent cracks from reappearing. I Utilized just about every product from quikrete and found I didn't care for quikrete once I found dap presto patcho. It is a weatherproff patching compound that can be used inside or outside. So far, I like this product better. It cures alot faster. All you have to do is let it dry from 1 to 5 hours and then sand it. I prefer to let it dry overnight to ensure that it is completely cured. Just don't use it if it is going to rain in the same day as your application of it. It will cure poorly and leave you with more work.
Now, with this product, you will have to do different layers because of the sanding. I would suggest with small cracks, use a little bit of water with it. It is an already mixed product, so don't use much water. With larger cracks or areas to have to cover, don't use water. This product is paintable as well. I would suggest repainting or staining what ever area you would apply this product on, because it comes out white. I'm sure it is like concrete, adding color to the bucket prior to use might work, however I am not sure. You may want to contact dap.com to find out.
I hope this helps.
The products you recommend are great for repairs,however I think the OP should contact the company and MAKE them fix it, before he attempts to do any repairs.
No matter what is done short of a complete redo (fat chance of that) it will never be the same.
Almost ALL companies are forbidden to go past the curb line just for this reason unless you sign a waiver.
Ravenworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:08 PM   #9
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 12
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Concrete repair


What happens to the person when they contact the business and the business comes out and does what appears to be a good job. Sometimes companies will only do surface repair which means that the actual repair has to be repaired later down the road, which means either the person recontacts the business and the business refuses to come back out. Then it is upto the person to either do the repair themselves or sue. Lawsuits are tricky, the plantiff better make sure that beyond a shadow of a doubt that they have a rock solid case. Also, lawsuits are a gamble, you may win or you may not. Would it truly be worth the effort? So the person wins the lawsuit. Time for collection. I am not an attorney, so I can't practice law, however what I can state is experience. I have been to court, although not for this issue, but none the less, been to court to sue as a plantiff. I wasted my time. The judge asked me for my three estimates. I didn't have them because I didn't have money to hire an attorney. There lies the problem, money. Does everyone have the money to hire an attorney? I don't think so. Therefore, I would suggest to you to shy away from leading people down the road of what could be a legal crossroad. If you give bad advice it could come back and haunt you.
rfrick7@yahoo.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:34 PM   #10
Member
 
Ravenworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 598
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Concrete repair


Quote:
Originally Posted by rfrick7@yahoo.c View Post
. Would it truly be worth the effort?
You bet,this is a NEW drive.
I have over $17,000 in the concrete in my drive and I did the work.
What ever is done to repair OP driveway, nothing will ever be right short of a complete redo.
As for winning the lawsuit,it's going to be easier than you'd think.A commercial vehicle has NO right on private property unless invited,hence the wavier you must sign before entrance.

rfrick7, the burden of your preparedness is your fault and not typical,you don't need a lawyer to settle the matter at this point,what OP should have done is contacted the company immediately.
I can tell you be experience on this one,
Ravenworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:28 PM   #11
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 12
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Concrete repair


I refuse to debate legal actions with you. It appears to me that you are attempting to gain an answer of some sort from me. As I have previously stated on this chat room, I am not an attorney and refuse to practice law.
If you have any concerns on what proper actions to perform due to possible problems you have endured with companies, I highly suggest for you to consult an attorney to resolve those problems. You can quote penal codes all day long; however, it is ultimately up to the courts in your area to decide on any case brought before them.
If you are "blowing steam" as a relief mechanism, please don't use me. The person that you are giving advice to originally must be advised of and know all of their alternatives to resolve concrete repair issues. My opinion and it is just that, an opinion is to advise the person to do the work themselves. That way, they know it is done right.
If you are seeking legal advice from someone via this chat room, please, I implore you, consult legal counsel. However, if you are trying to give legal advice, your local bar association may contest your legal responses to anyone on the diy chat room. It is illegal anywhere to practice law if you are not an attorney. If that happens you could be barred from the diy chat room forever. It doesnít even have to be the bar association, it can be the diy chat room master.
If it is proven that you are practicing law without having any licensed legal counsel credentials, you risk getting sued and or serving jail time.
Again, I implore you; please afford people various different alternatives to resolving their home improvement issues. You could get something bad and inappropriate started, leading people down the wrong path. Do you want that? I hope not. I apologize for any companies that may have done you wrong, however like the saying goes "pick your battles".
If you contact a company that damaged your property and they come out and repair your damaged property, although it may be a couple of months down the road when the repair is shown to be inadequate workmanship, how can you stand before the judge and explain to the judge that the company wronged you? They did the repair for you when you asked them to. They did their part.
You would have a long and hard road proving that the repair work was inadequate. So, letís look at the flip side of the coin, you can prove that the work was inadequately repaired by the company and the judge awards you a settlement. It is up to you, the plaintiff to retrieve the money from the company. What if the company goes out of business? Try and locate them then.
When bringing legal actions against any company it can be a difficult task. You first must establish where the company is located. What if the company is listed under a different name with their state? That is a practice more than common for companies. Next you have to deal with the jurisdictional limits of the law. For a repair that costs $500 to $1000 just turned into a major project. I literally mean project.
Now, letís look at the flip side of the coin; letís say hypothetically that telling someone to approach the company in question, demanding from the company to do the repair just turned into a long, drawn out process if the company replies to the person ďsue meĒ. What are the people suppose to do next. What if your actions persuade the people to do that and they lose their case in court.
Letís say the people have the idea in mind that the diy chat room is a poor idea to consider for any advice with home improvement concerns. That person tells ten people, those ten people tell ten other people, not to use diy chat room. Your simple action and persistence to guide the people down a path that may not be proper and the right way to go just collapsed the diy chat room because no one wants to use it because they may not get the right and proper advice. That makes it hard on everyone that may really need the diy chat room. That would be wrong. It is not funny to try and be right when you may not be right. Your advice on the diy chat room is only an opinion. It is good that you know the law, but that is not what people are needing or looking for when they are on the diy chat room. They are needing and looking for help, that is all. If they need legal advice, there are many resources for them to get help from. People donít go to letís say oscn.net for home improvement advice, therefore donít bring legal into a diy home improvement chat room.
rfrick7@yahoo.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:17 PM   #12
Member
 
Ravenworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 598
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Concrete repair


Quote:
Originally Posted by rfrick7@yahoo.c View Post
I refuse to debate legal actions with you. It appears to me that you are attempting to gain an answer of some sort from me. As I have previously stated on this chat room, I am not an attorney and refuse to practice law.
If you have any concerns on what proper actions to perform due to possible problems you have endured with companies, I highly suggest for you to consult an attorney to resolve those problems. You can quote penal codes all day long; however, it is ultimately up to the courts in your area to decide on any case brought before them.
If you are "blowing steam" as a relief mechanism, please don't use me. The person that you are giving advice to originally must be advised of and know all of their alternatives to resolve concrete repair issues. My opinion and it is just that, an opinion is to advise the person to do the work themselves. That way, they know it is done right.
If you are seeking legal advice from someone via this chat room, please, I implore you, consult legal counsel. However, if you are trying to give legal advice, your local bar association may contest your legal responses to anyone on the diy chat room. It is illegal anywhere to practice law if you are not an attorney. If that happens you could be barred from the diy chat room forever. It doesn’t even have to be the bar association, it can be the diy chat room master.
If it is proven that you are practicing law without having any licensed legal counsel credentials, you risk getting sued and or serving jail time.
Again, I implore you; please afford people various different alternatives to resolving their home improvement issues. You could get something bad and inappropriate started, leading people down the wrong path. Do you want that? I hope not. I apologize for any companies that may have done you wrong, however like the saying goes "pick your battles".
If you contact a company that damaged your property and they come out and repair your damaged property, although it may be a couple of months down the road when the repair is shown to be inadequate workmanship, how can you stand before the judge and explain to the judge that the company wronged you? They did the repair for you when you asked them to. They did their part.
You would have a long and hard road proving that the repair work was inadequate. So, let’s look at the flip side of the coin, you can prove that the work was inadequately repaired by the company and the judge awards you a settlement. It is up to you, the plaintiff to retrieve the money from the company. What if the company goes out of business? Try and locate them then.
When bringing legal actions against any company it can be a difficult task. You first must establish where the company is located. What if the company is listed under a different name with their state? That is a practice more than common for companies. Next you have to deal with the jurisdictional limits of the law. For a repair that costs $500 to $1000 just turned into a major project. I literally mean project.
Now, let’s look at the flip side of the coin; let’s say hypothetically that telling someone to approach the company in question, demanding from the company to do the repair just turned into a long, drawn out process if the company replies to the person “sue me”. What are the people suppose to do next. What if your actions persuade the people to do that and they lose their case in court.
Let’s say the people have the idea in mind that the diy chat room is a poor idea to consider for any advice with home improvement concerns. That person tells ten people, those ten people tell ten other people, not to use diy chat room. Your simple action and persistence to guide the people down a path that may not be proper and the right way to go just collapsed the diy chat room because no one wants to use it because they may not get the right and proper advice. That makes it hard on everyone that may really need the diy chat room. That would be wrong. It is not funny to try and be right when you may not be right. Your advice on the diy chat room is only an opinion. It is good that you know the law, but that is not what people are needing or looking for when they are on the diy chat room. They are needing and looking for help, that is all. If they need legal advice, there are many resources for them to get help from. People don’t go to let’s say oscn.net for home improvement advice, therefore don’t bring legal into a diy home improvement chat room.
Wow, I am at a lost for words here.

rfrick7 I did a search with your screen name and you sure have a lot of hits on Legal complaints and advice
The Op asked for advice on how to fix his new drive,with that I don't know how to say what I wish without hurting your feelings,so I will do just as you say "Pick your Battles"
So lets try this
To the OP,
You have two choices.
A: contact the company and have them fix it and the only proper way to do this to fix it as it was it to do a complete redo
B: Contact an attorney.
IMO your drive will never be the same once the monolithic pour has been fractured,this is not something I pulled out of my hat.
It's "A Tried and True FACT


Last edited by Ravenworks; 04-15-2012 at 10:28 PM.
Ravenworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:14 PM   #13
Member
 
Ravenworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 598
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Concrete repair


I was thinking about this last night,about the only thing you could do and still make your drive look like it was always made like it is,would be to saw cut the end of the drive and add an asphalt apron.
Ravenworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:07 AM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 513
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Concrete repair


Any chance of a picture of the damaged area? (I'm not a professional licensed photographic evidence interpreter btw. But I play one on tv.) ;/
Evstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:35 AM   #15
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 12
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Concrete repair


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenworks View Post
Wow, I am at a lost for words here.

rfrick7 I did a search with your screen name and you sure have a lot of hits on Legal complaints and advice
The Op asked for advice on how to fix his new drive,with that I don't know how to say what I wish without hurting your feelings,so I will do just as you say "Pick your Battles"
So lets try this
To the OP,
You have two choices.
A: contact the company and have them fix it and the only proper way to do this to fix it as it was it to do a complete redo
B: Contact an attorney.
IMO your drive will never be the same once the monolithic pour has been fractured,this is not something I pulled out of my hat.
It's "A Tried and True FACT
Be sure that you fully understand about the meaning of slander. Don't slander me. All that I have done is respond to your complaints. It is a shame that you would have to try and somehow attempt to make me look bad. All you do is keep putting replies down that seem to be leading to something. I am sorry for your troubles, however discontinue trying to disturb the peace of this website. Also, you need to be able to back up any false claims that you have with factual information, not just some unknown sense of an attempt to demonstrate intelligence.
It is a good thing that you may or may not have the ability to research people, that is not a difficult thing to do these days with all of the research websites out there, however this is a website for mature individuals that want to learn about diy projects, not someone's ability to do a little bit of research. If I am that much of a threat to you, I apologize for that however why would you have the urge to attempt at making me look bad.
You are the one that is bringing up legal matters, not me. I have only tried to help someone with their crack repairs, that is all, nothing else. I only want to ensure that they know an alternative that they may not have known before. Again, I am truly sorry for any misfortunes that someone else might have brought on you.

Advertisement

rfrick7@yahoo.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Concrete Repair meetranjith Building & Construction 11 11-04-2010 11:02 AM
concrete repair sunnystorm Building & Construction 1 10-31-2010 11:24 AM
Best way to repair concrete retaining walls? ohman Landscaping & Lawn Care 2 06-25-2009 12:45 PM
Concrete chip repair prior to ceramic floor tile? libbybuddy Flooring 2 06-10-2009 05:54 PM
concrete step repair & slate gemelli2 Building & Construction 5 10-03-2007 07:38 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts