DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Concrete, Stone & Masonry (http://www.diychatroom.com/f105/)
-   -   Concrete in a remote location (http://www.diychatroom.com/f105/concrete-remote-location-176121/)

kevindsingleton 04-02-2013 03:37 PM

Concrete in a remote location
 
I'm considering building a picnic shelter with a concrete floor in the woods on my property. The location I'd prefer is not accessible to a concrete mixer truck, so the material will have to be moved from wherever we can locate the truck to the site using a small front-end loader on a tractor.

I can get the truck to within about 200 yards of the pour site, but there are hills and trees that prevent getting any closer with a big vehicle. I think the maximum capacity of the bucket on my loader is a little less than half a yard, so that's probably 15 or 20 trips back and forth to move the 5 or six yards I'll need for my foundation.

My questions are, how long will the material remain workable, and how long can I reasonably expect the driver to wait for me to move the material using my tractor?

mj12 04-02-2013 03:54 PM

Someone will be along soon enough with the answers. This is the 21st century so I am sure there are retarders to put in the crete. I had to fill a bunch of sonic tubes and big foots by hand with five gallon buckets. The driver stuck around because he was laughing so hard. Not sure how much time a driver will wait, or if you can drop concrete with a bucket like that.

Canarywood1 04-02-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevindsingleton (Post 1151029)
I'm considering building a picnic shelter with a concrete floor in the woods on my property. The location I'd prefer is not accessible to a concrete mixer truck, so the material will have to be moved from wherever we can locate the truck to the site using a small front-end loader on a tractor.

I can get the truck to within about 200 yards of the pour site, but there are hills and trees that prevent getting any closer with a big vehicle. I think the maximum capacity of the bucket on my loader is a little less than half a yard, so that's probably 15 or 20 trips back and forth to move the 5 or six yards I'll need for my foundation.

My questions are, how long will the material remain workable, and how long can I reasonably expect the driver to wait for me to move the material using my tractor?


The ideal time would be 1 hour,but another 30minutes should be okay.

All ready mix producers have a set amount of free time to unload the truck, after that free time there will be a waiting time charge ,and they are all different,so you'll have to consult your local company.

itsreallyconc 04-02-2013 05:36 PM

you're ok,,, here we get 1hr incl on the transit trk but min load's 5cy,,, on 1 job, we used tandem dumps to carry conc 2m from the plant & that road's still there, too :thumbsup:

just be sure you consolidate the loads & drop into the hole gently,,, since you're not finishing by yourself, while someone's driving back & forth, the other 2 can be rodding & striking off,,, alternatively, you could mobilize a mexican bucket brigade :laughing: to save wear & tear on your tractor bkt :thumbup:

joed 04-02-2013 06:40 PM

You could also rent a pumper.

itsreallyconc 04-02-2013 06:59 PM

could also rent a crane & bucket, too, but having a scoop on a tractor makes MUCH more $$$ sense to me

concreteman 04-03-2013 06:50 AM

Contact your local ready mix plant and ask for a ground line pump. The ground live service will run around 600 dollars. If you would rather do it yourself just ask the dispatch at the plant to put retarder in your mix and you will have upwards of 4 hours to place the mix.

itsreallyconc 04-03-2013 07:16 AM

at least that's cheaper'n a crane & bucket but still o'kill im-n-s-h-fo,,, IF you decide on a line pump, you'll need a different mix design'd to be pump'd which costs more $$ + you'll waste conc charging the pump,,, you'll also need a guy on the end of the pipe - why make it so hard on yourself ? use the loader & wash it out afterward :thumbsup:

47_47 04-03-2013 08:59 AM

Your small tractor may hold about 1/2 yard by volume, but will it handle the weight?

GBrackins 04-03-2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 47_47 (Post 1151476)
Your small tractor may hold about 1/2 yard by volume, but will it handle the weight?

a half-yard should weigh around 2,000 lbs. Guys is my math correct?

47_47 04-03-2013 09:37 AM

That's what I figured and most small tractors max out at 750 to 1,000 pounds.

concreteman 04-03-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsreallyconc (Post 1151443)
at least that's cheaper'n a crane & bucket but still o'kill im-n-s-h-fo,,, IF you decide on a line pump, you'll need a different mix design'd to be pump'd which costs more $$ + you'll waste conc charging the pump,,, you'll also need a guy on the end of the pipe - why make it so hard on yourself ? use the loader & wash it out afterward :thumbsup:

Ground line with a 4 inch line will run any mix design. With a three inch line you would switch to 3/8 aggregate. Cost difference is +- $3 a yard. You run the hose yourself. Prime the line right into your forms and you will waste nothing especially if you time your pour correctly and have them blow out the lines with a ball at the end for your last shot of mix. Ground line is the easiest way by far if you have the money. If not than im sure your tractor will do the job. Let the dispatch know that you will be taking a few hours to place the mix though as they will need to tack on a few extra $ per yard to make it worth their while.

Canarywood1 04-03-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by concreteman (Post 1151586)
Ground line with a 4 inch line will run any mix design. With a three inch line you would switch to 3/8 aggregate. Cost difference is +- $3 a yard. You run the hose yourself. Prime the line right into your forms and you will waste nothing especially if you time your pour correctly and have them blow out the lines with a ball at the end for your last shot of mix. Ground line is the easiest way by far if you have the money. If not than im sure your tractor will do the job. Let the dispatch know that you will be taking a few hours to place the mix though as they will need to tack on a few extra $ per yard to make it worth their while.


That's not true,all pumps static or mobile need the mix design to be ajusted for pumping,vertical pumping needs more adjustment than a static line pump,and distance also comes into play when pumps are involved,be it a line pump or vertical boom,size does make a difference.

concreteman 04-03-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canarywood1 (Post 1151622)
That's not true,all pumps static or mobile need the mix design to be ajusted for pumping,vertical pumping needs more adjustment than a static line pump,and distance also comes into play when pumps are involved,be it a line pump or vertical boom,size does make a difference.

Yup...again price difference is minimal and for his situation he would most likely be pumping 3000 with 3/8 stone in a 3" line. Were not talking about pumping the 50th floor of a skyscraper here. But lets face it...hes going to use the tractor.:yes:

kevindsingleton 04-03-2013 02:04 PM

Thanks!
 
Lots of great information, here. I guess I'll just have to call and see if they're too busy for my little order and to wait around while I tote it back into the woods.

I'm not sure if they can pump concrete up the pretty steep hills that surround the area where I need it. If the retarder allows for as much as four hours "open time", then I can certainly make the trip back and forth to accommodate that window.

The loader is rated for 800 lbs, so I'll have to gauge that and make concessions.

I'll be dumping it into a form for the slab and apron, and I'll have someone else doing the spreading, at least until I can kill the tractor and step into the mud, myself. That's what wives are for, right?

I'll ask about the ground line option. I'd gladly pay a little extra to save half a day on the project!

Thanks for all the great information!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:48 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved