Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-28-2013, 07:56 AM   #1

Share |

concrete professionals...?

I have a house I'm ready to get started on but I'm missing one member of my much needed project team, A CONCRETE GUY! I've tried to no avail and cannot find one in my area, any suggestions. I live in Eastland County TX.

Thanks...Mike

rainmandelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:05 AM   #2

Stop by any concrete supply or local building supply and I'm sure they can give you some names.
And no I do not mean a box store!

47_47 (05-28-2013), concretemasonry (05-28-2013), ddawg16 (05-28-2013), itsreallyconc (05-28-2013), rainmandelta (05-28-2013)
Old 05-28-2013, 08:19 AM   #3

the redi-mix guys'll know who does QUALITY work,,, w/few exceptions, craig's list shows who does the work cheaply

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:04 AM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

One thing about he recommendation from a ready-mix company is they want to see good contractors that are organized, do things right and pay their bills. If they do the work properly, the supplier will have fewer problems.

I have seen some suppliers that will not sell to contractors that do poor work or do not use the quality of concrete that should be used for a specific application (especially common when it comes to harsh climates or those with freeze-thaw problems).

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to concretemasonry For This Useful Post:
ddawg16 (05-28-2013), itsreallyconc (05-28-2013)
Old 05-28-2013, 10:18 AM   #5
JOATMON

rainman....listen to the above advice.....

As a DIY'r....I have learned that when I need to farm something out....I use the above approach...

The suppliers have no interest in promoting the work of bad contractors....they know very well who is doing good work...it's the guys that come in on a regular basis....have an account...pay their bills...and never have issues with orders because they know how and what to order.

When you go in to one of those places, you will most likely get the name of 2-3 guys and a short blurb about them....something like "This guy is really good but expensive...that guy is real busy so you might have to wait....this guy does great work....but is on vacation a lot"....or something like that....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (05-28-2013), itsreallyconc (05-28-2013)
Old 05-28-2013, 10:58 AM   #6

Ok, I've read all of the replies and I really appreciate them all BUT...

In a town of 2000 people we have one ready mix plant, 10 miles away in the next town, and they recommend one concrete guy that apparently isn't "hungry" since he hasn't kept an appointment or returned a phone call in 3 months.

At this point I think I'm going to have to sub the concrete work out to a company that is going to charge way too much because they're going to have to travel over 90 miles to get to my build site.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:02 AM   #7

that's tough but we all know that guy or his cousins

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:12 AM   #8
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmandelta View Post
Ok, I've read all of the replies and I really appreciate them all BUT...

In a town of 2000 people we have one ready mix plant, 10 miles away in the next town, and they recommend one concrete guy that apparently isn't "hungry" since he hasn't kept an appointment or returned a phone call in 3 months.

At this point I think I'm going to have to sub the concrete work out to a company that is going to charge way too much because they're going to have to travel over 90 miles to get to my build site.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Rainman....it's one of the benefits of living in the country....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:41 AM   #9

That it is...also, in the planning phase of a building project it has also proven to be a hindrance.

Of course it is worth it but it doesn't mean it is any less frustrating.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #10
World's Tallest Midget

It was good advice, though. I'd add one thing, ask a concrete truck driver. They know who does the best work, but they don't have a financial dog in the fight. If a supplier's best customer does so-so work, but buys hundreds of yards of concrete per month, that's who they'll recommend.

The driver doesn't really care about that.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:31 PM   #11

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

dadog -

Keep in mind that delivery is one of or not the highest part of the cost in delivered concrete.

A friend of mind that was in the aggregate and ready-mix business for 30 years with about 40 ready-mix trucks described the ready-mix business as being the most expensive way to sell aggregate because you turn over a $150,000 truck over to a driver, send him out and he becomes a part-time employee of the customer, running up the delivery cost, especially if was farther from supervision.

He eventually sold/traded his ready-mix business to a competitor that was more interested in concrete in exchange for his aggregate reserves. Both made much more money in spite of another 5 competitors that tried to split (or balance) their interests in a competitive market and were not able to isolate costs.

Also a future project will not get much attention, especially if price is mentioned. An individual will never get as good a price as a regular construction customer because of loyalty, payment history, ability to schedule and confidence in the contractors ability to work without problems.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
dadog -

Also a future project will not get much attention, especially if price is mentioned. An individual will never get as good a price as a regular construction customer because of loyalty, payment history, ability to schedule and confidence in the contractors ability to work without problems.

Dick

I understand that but I also have to keep in mind that I will be paying the bills. If I don't have an idea of the cost which should be in the form of a bid then I do not know how much I should be prepared to write a check for.

When it comes down to it I am like most people and need to budget appropriately because I do not have a bottomless checkbook, if I did then I would not need to take on my own project rather I would do it simply out of desire and for the challenge not primarily for financial gain.