Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-22-2012, 11:03 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Concrete patio over cold room

I have a concrete patio over my cold room - I tried applying a sealer to it last fall (might have been too cold to cure) and now I seem to be getting water seeping UP through the concrete (no plumbing underneath it). I can also notice some damp spots on the concrete even if it hasn't rained - any ideas/suggestions as to what it might be cause from and how to fix it?

SMS1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:09 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 198

Without a picture it's hard to say.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:12 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 16

With all the water draining off the patio onto the ground immediately around, that portion of the ground gets saturated more quickly than further away from the house.

You may want to regrade the land immediately around so the water at least tends to flow away from the house before it all soaks in.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:26 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 198

If this is one of those bump outs in the basement with a deck over it, I've never once seen one that did not leak. Just a very poor way to design a room. Most peole just close off that area in the basement with a block wall.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:50 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 0

Some more information - the patio is raised (about 3 feet off the ground) and is at the front of the house and is covered - some rain/snow accumulates depending on wind direction, but no percipitation in last week (except maybe some morning dew) and still see damp/wet spots.

Haven't checked cold room to see if water is in there, but no real reason for there to be anything in there

as well we have had very unseasonably warm temperatures the last week (over 20 degrees celcius instead of normal 6-10 degrees celcius).

Could this be a factor?
SMS1973 is offline   Reply With Quote