Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-13-2012, 06:14 AM   #1

Share |

Concrete Patio Enclose with Pressure Treated Wood

Hello. I am looking for some advise. I have a large concrete patio my guess is 7-8'x24-26'. It was covered by exterior carpet and the roof over it is about to collapse. There is a very large tree that is next to the patio. It will be getting removed within the next 1-2 weeks (just waiting for a tree guy to show up). I removed the carpet and discovered the concrete is cracked all over. Has some shallow spots in it. It is all cover with the roof I will be removing and cast iron railings. This is on a ranch house so I cannot get to crazy with a deck.
My question is can I keep the concrete patio and maybe treat it or try to resurface it with concrete so water will run off of it... I want to put a wood deck over it by my concern is moister and water not washing off of the concrete below. The new construction will only be half covered by a new roof.

ryanb4614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:09 AM   #2

Can any help me out? I would like to start this construction this week. I was looking into deck blocks. But my issue is height for the door in the back.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:36 AM   #3

With out some pictures it's hard to say.
If it's as bad as you say it is it's not worth the time and money to try and fix it.
Adding a over lay or anything for that matter over a failing slab makes no since to me.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:41 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I agree with Joe. You could use something like the epoxy repair products from Abatron or some other resurfacing scheme but if the slab is as badly cracked as you describe it will continue to worsen as moisture gets in the cracks and freezes or otherwise expands and contracts. The Abatron stuff is expensive. And if I understand you, you don't really care if the surface is useable, just so it drains?

I would break it apart, remove it, and pour a new one or move forward with your wood deck. Not what you want to hear I know.

Last edited by user1007; 04-16-2012 at 08:45 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:31 AM   #5

Here are the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Concrete Patio Enclose with Pressure Treated Wood-image-3306103416.jpg   Concrete Patio Enclose with Pressure Treated Wood-image-451391558.jpg  
Old 04-20-2012, 07:35 AM   #6

I'm wondering if the Slab has a footer - at minimum I would think the posts should have been set on a sonotube to the depth of the frost line in your area. The slab is not able to support the weight.
tribe_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:12 AM   #7

Looking at the picture now does look like all the pressure is coming from the post. I was thinking this was a result of the massive tree next to the patio that I am trying to get removed. They had the post into the slab and then the post closest to the house are bolted to the house.

My goal is to remove everything wood keep the slab but build a wood patio over the patio. I just don't want to have water build up because the new construction will be half open and the other half be covered with a Pergola with a transparent roof. So the post will be removed and for the pergola the post will be properly set off the concrete slab.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:27 AM   #8

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

After seeing the photos, I think that is bad concrete that will only get worse with time. There is a reason itr was covered with carpet.

By the time you remove the posts and ugly railing you will have worthless concrete that will be cheaper to remove and start out fresh. Also, the post attached to the brick walls are a bad detail. A man with a Bobcat and dump truck can do wonders in one day.

Your posts should be supported by Sonotubes below the frost level (if your undefined location has frost) or by a footing depending on your ultimate location of new posts.

Using a wood deck with circulation under it could hinder access from existing doors if it is too high.

Make sure you get the roots from the tree removed wherever you plan to have any support from the ground or you will have ongoing problems.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:22 AM   #9

What I plan on doing it to take down the post on the house and on the concrete slab. Extend the patio but will be all wood a d put the new post in the ground 4 ft concrete. Only half the new wooden floating deck/ patio will be covered. The new post will support a pergola with a transparent roof.