Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-22-2012, 10:21 PM   #1

Share |

Concrete on hardiboard

I have a question for all you tile and mud pros. I'm considering doing a vertical concrete overlay over hardiboard to get a concrete wall effect. It seems like I should use a primer on the hardiboard but its a wet room so I have applied a liquid membrane over the hardiboard. Does anyone know if a typical primer will bond to the membrane? Or will a skim-coat of thinset work to prime a 1/2 inch layer of all cement?? Or is that a terrible idea??

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Gmyers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:02 PM   #2

Concrete on hardiboard

No clue why this thought would have even occurred to you.
Last thing you want in a wet area is a poris rough surface.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:34 PM   #3

Concrete on hardiboard

I've seen it more and more and people tell me it's doable. Is it really a terrible idea? It looks phenomenal but if it's going to be problematic Ill rethink it. But at this point I've seen (today) an awesome new install (professionally poured offsite) and heard from many people who believe if the concrete is sealed correctly it will be fine.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:41 PM   #4

Concrete on hardiboard

I've been working on houses for well over 30 years, Never once have seen anyone do it or ever even have a customer asked to have it done.
How it it going to even stay stuck to a smooth tile board wall?
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:09 PM   #5

Concrete on hardiboard

Where are you located?! Sounds like I should take my methods to market where you are. In LA it's used all the time with complete success and from what I've found online it's not just a "left coast" phenomenon. Not to discredit your 30 years of experience (that's why I'm asking here in the first place!) but I'm not looking for an effect that every other house on the block has. I specifically want an artisan feel, inspired by schindlers king's road house. I'm confident in the end it will hold up well. And today I'm more confident than yesterday that I can make it stick.

My tests the morning are so far looking stellar. It appears the mix is critical. Too dry and it cracks. I applied a slightly looser mix to both the cement board and the red guard treated cement board - a thin primer coat - and so far it's setting up nicely. I also applied a thin layer of thinset to both boards and I'll trowel Cement All over that once it dries tomorrow. The final test will be what happens when I take a hammer to it. If it doesn't bond satisfactorily then ive got some tile on hold. In the mind of an experienced tradesman (trying as hard as you can to accept that this MIGHT work) how can I better test the bond? Thank you for your input. It's very much appreciated even if it's not the answer I want to hear.

Signed,

Stubborn newby
Old 03-24-2012, 11:09 AM   #6
Concrete & Masonry

Concrete on hardiboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmyers1 View Post
Where are you located?! Sounds like I should take my methods to market where you are. In LA it's used all the time with complete success and from what I've found online it's not just a "left coast" phenomenon. Not to discredit your 30 years of experience (that's why I'm asking here in the first place!) but I'm not looking for an effect that every other house on the block has. I specifically want an artisan feel, inspired by schindlers king's road house. I'm confident in the end it will hold up well. And today I'm more confident than yesterday that I can make it stick.

My tests the morning are so far looking stellar. It appears the mix is critical. Too dry and it cracks. I applied a slightly looser mix to both the cement board and the red guard treated cement board - a thin primer coat - and so far it's setting up nicely. I also applied a thin layer of thinset to both boards and I'll trowel Cement All over that once it dries tomorrow. The final test will be what happens when I take a hammer to it. If it doesn't bond satisfactorily then ive got some tile on hold. In the mind of an experienced tradesman (trying as hard as you can to accept that this MIGHT work) how can I better test the bond? Thank you for your input. It's very much appreciated even if it's not the answer I want to hear.

Signed,

Stubborn newby

Don't mind joecaption, he apparently just feels the need to post in every thread here, even when he doesn't know what he's talking about.

I have no idea why Redguard wouldn't work under the thinset, or any other cementicious substrate. I think what's really going to be a challenge is keeping cracks at bay in your finish coat, but that can likely be overcome by wet-curing the wall.

Hopefully a tile pro sees this thread, as I think they would certainly have a good background in what you're trying to accomplish........

jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
all cement, concrete overlay, skim coating