Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2012, 08:44 PM   #1

Share |

Concrete foundation mortar repair/redo

It's a pleasure, and thanks in advance. I've learned a lot scouring over this site and I'm already indebted to many without having ever posted.

On to my project I have undertaken and may need to call the undertaker on: the mortar/stucco 1/8" to almost 3/4" layer which surrounds a portion of the exposed basement and concrete slab portions of our tri-level. This layer has been cracked, lifted, and otherwise in bad repair due to some vine-like "flowers" the previous owner had cultivated around the house. So I have removed most of the mortar/stucco below the brick and am planning on finishing the wall prep work this weekend.

Questions:

1. I plan on pressure washing. What else should I do to prep the surface for max bonding of the new mortar or stucco or whatever? This will, of course, change depending on the exterior finishing method I suppose.

2. Do I need to use some sort of leveling agent to smooth out the pocked concrete before the mortal is applied?

3. Any ideas of an exterior finish I can use besides mortar? I don't know if stone veneers would stick out and look bad, or if I might use some cool looking tiles, or something other than mortar?

4. Is mortar or stucco the cheapest/fastest route to finishing this project? I assume I can color the mortar as well (though I would probably opt for the neutral finish).

5. On several corners of the house, the concrete looks to be somewhat chipped out. Would I need to repair this as well, or give an extra special dose of mortar in this area?

6. If I chickened out and opted for a mason to do this, how much might a sq ft cost?

All tips, slaps, ideas, instructions, and help are much appreciated. Btw, this home is in Louisville KY for climate and cost considerations. Thanks tons,

Mikey
Attached Thumbnails
Concrete foundation mortar repair/redo-img_2382.jpg   Concrete foundation mortar repair/redo-img_2383.jpg  

miked007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:16 PM   #2

Concrete foundation mortar repair/redo

Google "Parging".
That does not look like stucco.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foundation, mortar, repair