Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-12-2013, 08:35 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Concrete Driveway Sealer Questions

Concrete Driveway Sealing Question
We like the natural look of our concrete driveway when it is wet.
  • Is the only way to get this wet look by using a sealer?
  • Are there any sealers I can apply myself?
  • Are there any permanent sealers?
  • What are the best sealer brands that I as a homeowner can buy?
  • Any opinions about Eagle, Color Juice and H&C Wet look sealer brands?

Thank you.

Last edited by sore thumb; 04-12-2013 at 08:37 AM.
sore thumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:30 PM   #2
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sore thumb View Post
Concrete Driveway Sealing Question
We like the natural look of our concrete driveway when it is wet.
  • Is the only way to get this wet look by using a sealer?

Absolutely, you want a high solids acylic sealer, solvent based.
  • Are there any sealers I can apply myself?

If you can roll paint, you can handle this, as it's even more forgiving.
  • Are there any permanent sealers?

No, and there likely never will be. We've yet to come up with a "permanent driveway.......
  • What are the best sealer brands that I as a homeowner can buy?

There's a ton of reputable brands, all depends on what your local supplier's carry or push. Here, I use a lot of "Euco" products, mostly because the price is fair and one of my salesman at the supplier worked for the company as a rep for years, so he's very knowledgeable with their products. For what you want "I'd" personally be looking at using their Super Diamond Clear, solvent based.
  • Any opinions about Eagle, Color Juice and H&C Wet look sealer brands?

Thank you.
Never heard of any of them but H&C, and haven't even used their product. I'd be apprehensive to use anything other than what a professional concrete supply house/ready-mix producer/etc... carries, especially for this kind of sealer. Due to the high solids, this type of sealer can "blemish" if everything's not right............

jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jomama45 For This Useful Post:
sore thumb (04-13-2013)
Old 04-13-2013, 06:58 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 20

w/all the trouble you had w/H&C, you're still considering it ? its for painters & uneducated h/o's,,, euclid's avail to you - solvent bas'd & is cut w/xylene,,, jomama's high on it & we don't disagree,,, avail @ const supply houses,,, don't even think about apron/vest/sher-wms stores

be certain your d/w's clean 1st - pressure washer ( 3,500psi & 3 1/2gpm min ) & degreaser as rqd,,, 18" roller covers x 3/4" nap & always work from a wet edge to avoid roller marks,,, NEVER seal on a bright, sunny day OR when the d/w's hot

who's eagle & the other 1 ? never heard of them,,, as previously advised, CSS is the best & YOU can buy it
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stadry For This Useful Post:
sore thumb (04-13-2013)
Old 04-13-2013, 10:29 AM   #4

There are also some things you should know about acrylic sealers.

Acrylic Sealers

Type: Surface Sealer
Chemistry: Bonds to surface with no chemical reaction.
Technology Age: Old
Color: Clear (Brown color can be added)
Expected Life: 6 to 18 months
Application Method: Roller application or sprayed and back-roll
Coats: One coat, two coats recommended.
Penetration Level: Surface of concrete
Best For: Enhancing color in stamped and decorative concrete, epoxy stone, natural stones, expose aggregate. Provides a wet look with gloss finish.

Description: These sealers are widely used in the industry and are primarily solvent-based products. These sealers can become brittle and delaminate with age. They also have a tendency to turn yellow in the light. These come in a variety of solids (the higher the solids, the longer the sealer will last), some come with UV protection, and they even come in a water-based formulation. The solvent-based formulas emit high levels of VOC (volatile organic compounds) and will probably be off the market within a short time due to clean air and clean water standards. Acrylic sealers form a film on top of the concrete and thus protect it from water absorption. Two light coats of sealer about 12 hours apart are recommended. It is also recommended to back roll each coat to obtain an even application and for maximum longevity. However, homeowners need to be aware that acrylic sealers need to be re-coated every 18 to 24 months in most cases and sometimes sooner depending on weather, wear and tear, and exposure to the sun.

Acrylics are used when you want to bring color, shine or give a wet look to decorative concrete. It is important to allow adequate drying time for these sealers – at least 8 hours.
Acrylic sealers are most frequently used as cure and seals because of their short life. As we protect our environment, water based Acrylic sealers are now available with the same properties as solvent base sealers.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canarywood1 For This Useful Post:
sore thumb (04-13-2013)
Old 04-13-2013, 10:54 AM   #5

If a sealer is used it would be environmentally friendly. Therefore I take it that using a sealer becomes a cyclic process that never ends. Question, I did not quite understand if water based sealer with NO colorant added will make the concrete look darker?

Thanks

Last edited by sore thumb; 04-13-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:26 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 20

DOES THIS SOUND AT ALL FAMILIAR ? ? ? ' we thin it 1CSS:1 1/2 xylene & apply 2 coats - every year,,, the house # was sculpted into the cured conc ',,, that was a response to your recent post & yes, ' EVERY YEAR ' MEANS ANNUALLY --- at least here in GA,,, probably ' cyclic ' means the same to you

i don't believe 1 can realistically use ' environmentally-friendly ' & ' solvent-based ' in the same sentence,,, then again, what is usually ' environmentally-friendly ' ain't worth a **** when its applied to conc,,, you could, of course, just spray the conc w/wtr & it will darken in an environmentally-friendly manner but it'll be lighter after 5min of texas sun & need another application of water,,,this seems to be paridoxical - using lotsa wtr draining a precious environmental resource instead of a more permanent sealer.

what's your opinion - high water bills OR annual sealing ? ? ?

there's some wisdom in canary's post but its largely generic &, in the hands of an experienced artisan, certainly doesn't apply to ' CSS ',,, most of us know how to color ( add pigment ) to sealers to achieve the effects we desire,,, some guys buy color'd sealers,,, if they're hacks-in-training, they buy already color'd thereby limiting their color range, knowledge, & experience,,, eg, we usually apply the 2nd coat of sealer w/i 1 hr of the 1st.

1 should realize 1 cannot fit 5gal of wtr into 4gal buckets at sometime in their life, no ?

Last edited by stadry; 04-13-2013 at 11:40 AM.
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stadry For This Useful Post:
sore thumb (04-13-2013)
Old 04-13-2013, 11:38 AM   #7
Concrete & Masonry

You'll undoubtedly get a better wet-look from a solvent based sealer, and the life may even be a little better. You can get a high-solids WB sealer to do this as well, but it won't do as good of a job IMO......
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jomama45 For This Useful Post:
sore thumb (04-13-2013)
Old 04-13-2013, 12:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sore thumb View Post
If a sealer is used it would be environmentally friendly. Therefore I take it that using a sealer becomes a cyclic process that never ends. Question, I did not quite understand if water based sealer with NO colorant added will make the concrete look darker?

Thanks

You can't have everything with one product,so like jomama said if it's the wet look you want,then solvent based acrylic and a short life span,or forgo the wet look and use a siloconate which will last 15/20 years and is a penetrating sealer,which in my opinion is the best of the lot,BUT no wet look can be achived.

Forgot to say siloconate is enviromentally friendly with the water bourne variety.
sore thumb (04-13-2013)
Old 04-13-2013, 04:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
You can't have everything with one product,so like jomama said if it's the wet look you want,then solvent based acrylic and a short life span,or forgo the wet look and use a siloconate which will last 15/20 years and is a penetrating sealer,which in my opinion is the best of the lot,BUT no wet look can be achived.

Forgot to say siloconate is enviromentally friendly with the water bourne variety.
Ok, forget the wet look. Will siloconate darken the concrete without the use of stain?
Old 04-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #10

No it will not,it's a penetrating sealer.

sore thumb (04-13-2013)