Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-23-2013, 01:38 PM   #1

Share |

Concrete driveway, foundation, and rainwater

Just bought a house and getting ready for winter in Chicago with cold and ice.

I have a concrete driveway with a section that goes along the side of the garage. Looks like the whole driveway is not too old - 5-10 years? Even though this part of the driveway along the side of the garage is pitched away from the foundation, I am still concerned that where the driveway meets the foundation, there is a 1/2-3/4 inch or so gap with nothing in it. No expansion joints, no caulk, no nothing. At the front and back of the house on that side are 2 downspouts, and even though they are pitched, I am worried about water getting in the crack. When I bought the house, the previous owner didn't extend the downspouts, and the rainwater was getting in there, but I extended them right away.

Should I put something in these cracks? I've read where people fill with sand, then a backer rod, then self-leveling caulk. I've also been told to use the spray foam instead of the sand and backer rods, then caulk. What do you suggest?

I also noticed that where the rainwater goes across the driveway from the downspouts, there are cracks in the pre-made joints. Should I be concerned about water getting in there, especially in the winter?

I also have a patio that is concrete and stamped to look like blocks. I see where they sawed lines in the concrete for stress. I don't do anything with these, do I? I also noticed some small cracks in the patio. Do I caulk these so they don't get any larger?

Where the driveway meets the garage floor, there are expansion joints on only 1/2 the distance, the other has nothing there. I bought a couple expansion joints, but they seem too thin.

Lastly, is there a better solution to the rainwater from the downspouts from the pics above? I've been told that when they put in the driveway, they should've had the downspout go under the concrete and have a pop-up on the side in the grass. What would be a good solution at this point?

Thanks so much for the help!

Last edited by kah5683; 10-23-2013 at 01:51 PM.
kah5683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:08 AM   #2

install closed cell backer rod & 100% silicone joint sealant as per the directions incl ' tooling ',,, expansion jnt mtls aren't nec,,, sand is an incompressible & NOT an acceptable jnt sealant,,, ( tell whoever rec'd foam-in-a-can to pound sand what a horrible mess that would be )

no sealant prevents crks from getting larger,,, that crk on the stamp'd patio is a result of an inadequate jnt pattern,,, i'd leave it alone & look @ something else

popup would've been nicer but do you want to now dig up the conc to put 1 in ? go find something else to do inside good luck !

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help

Last edited by itsreallyconc; 10-25-2013 at 08:25 AM.
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
install closed cell backer rod & 100% silicone joint sealant as per the directions incl ' tooling ',,, expansion jnt mtls aren't nec,,, sand is an incompressible & NOT a acceptable jnt sealant,,,
100% silicone that you have to tool would be better than polyurethane that is self-leveling?

Can you comment on the joint between driveway and garage floor and the missing expansion joint? I purchased the one in the picture, but it seems too thin.

Thanks!
Old 10-25-2013, 08:24 AM   #4

100% silicone that you have to tool would be better than polyurethane ? YES !

comment on the joint between driveway and garage floor and the missing expansion joint ? already did - trash it & install backer rod & silicone - too late for the exp jnt mtl,,, bear in mind for ea mtl you need CLEAN jnt sidewalls

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help

Last edited by itsreallyconc; 10-25-2013 at 08:26 AM.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post

comment on the joint between driveway and garage floor and the missing expansion joint ? already did - trash it & install backer rod & silicone - too late for the exp jnt mtl,,, bear in mind for ea mtl you need CLEAN jnt sidewalls
What is mtl?

With 2 car garage, half of the expansion joint is missing from the joint between driveway and garage floor. Should I just use backer rod and silicone that 1/2 only, or remove/keep in place existing expansion joint on the remaining 1/2 and use silicone over that, so it looks more uniform?

Temperature-wise, as long as the air temperature is over 40 degrees when I squeeze it out, I can use the silicone?

Thanks again!

Last edited by kah5683; 10-25-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:58 PM   #6

mtl = material

' With 2 car garage, half of the expansion joint is missing from the joint between driveway and garage floor. Should I just use backer rod and silicone that 1/2 only, or remove/keep in place existing expansion joint on the remaining 1/2 and use silicone over that, so it looks more uniform ? ' I WOULD

Temperature-wise, as long as the air temperature is over 40 degrees when I squeeze it out, I can use the silicone ? YES

The Following User Says Thank You to itsreallyconc For This Useful Post:
kah5683 (10-25-2013)