Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-19-2014, 04:46 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 67
Share |
Default

Concrete Curbing


What's an easy way of doing concrete curbing without the specialized equipment?

I'm interested in the 4-5 inches variety that acts more like edging in a landscape design. I see in youtube landscapers using this machine that rolls along the line while being fed concrete. Just looking for other options on doing something similar.

Thanks


Last edited by suncowiam; 06-19-2014 at 04:50 PM.
suncowiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:54 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 25,739
Default

Concrete Curbing


Form it up and pore it.
Buy it preformed and stake in place

__________________
When posting in forums, letting us know your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:22 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 67
Default

Concrete Curbing


Hi Joe,

Thanks for the reply. Could you give me a link with a preform example?

Thanks
suncowiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:29 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,214
Default

Concrete Curbing


That little machine is basically a hopper feeding a slip form. You can do the same thing cheaply, unless your time is worth something.

Build a form from 1x4 sides, about 6-12" long (depending upon the tightest radius you plan on making). Leave both ends open, as well as the bottom. Make sure you have plenty of support across the top and down the sides to prevent the form from opening up (obviously you will need to leave most of the top open as well so you can place the concrete). Then simply place it in the slight trench you have prepared, fill with concrete and slide it on down.

You will need to mix very dry for this, and add water from a spray bottle as you finish (trowel) it. One 80# bag of concrete mix will do about 6' of 4x4 edging, which is about all you can work at once anyway, maybe 12' if you are good.
__________________
Advice is free, Lessons begin at 75 bucks an hour.
Tscarborough is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tscarborough For This Useful Post:
itsreallyconc (06-19-2014)
Old 06-19-2014, 08:49 PM   #5
Member
 
Msradell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Louisville Kentucky
Posts: 1,062
Default

Concrete Curbing


Have you thought about placing bricks along the edges to form a border? That would certainly be easier and would give you flexibility to change your beds if you want to.
__________________
Written using Dragon Naturally Speaking
Msradell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:57 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: hilton head & atlanta
Posts: 3,036
Default

Concrete Curbing


got to thinking vibration would make his placement MUCH easier as the engine-driven extruders also vibrate from the engine torque,,, the op might want to grab up that little batt powr'd thingie out of the nitestand upgrade the batteries, too
__________________

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:19 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 67
Default

Concrete Curbing


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
That little machine is basically a hopper feeding a slip form. You can do the same thing cheaply, unless your time is worth something.

Build a form from 1x4 sides, about 6-12" long (depending upon the tightest radius you plan on making). Leave both ends open, as well as the bottom. Make sure you have plenty of support across the top and down the sides to prevent the form from opening up (obviously you will need to leave most of the top open as well so you can place the concrete). Then simply place it in the slight trench you have prepared, fill with concrete and slide it on down.

You will need to mix very dry for this, and add water from a spray bottle as you finish (trowel) it. One 80# bag of concrete mix will do about 6' of 4x4 edging, which is about all you can work at once anyway, maybe 12' if you are good.
Thanks! This is a great suggestion. I'm gonna give it a try.
suncowiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:20 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 67
Default

Concrete Curbing


Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
got to thinking vibration would make his placement MUCH easier as the engine-driven extruders also vibrate from the engine torque,,, the op might want to grab up that little batt powr'd thingie out of the nitestand upgrade the batteries, too
That little thingie belongs to my wife and she's very protective of it. I think you missed a topic or two?
suncowiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:22 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 67
Default

Concrete Curbing


Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
Have you thought about placing bricks along the edges to form a border? That would certainly be easier and would give you flexibility to change your beds if you want to.
I've thought of this but feel that this will get displaced in the long run. I can break up concrete with my mini hammer demolisher if needed as this curbing won't be so much...

Thanks

suncowiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gap in concrete by corner of garage door jamb, intentional or not? daluu Concrete, Stone & Masonry 1 09-16-2012 05:23 PM
How to Calculate Store Bought Concrete Coverage by Bag Size Willie T How To Guides 9 11-29-2011 12:32 PM
Laminate Flooring on Two Different Concrete Heights mrken Flooring 4 12-14-2010 01:56 PM
New Concrete Walkway along side of house braverichard Building & Construction 0 11-03-2010 11:12 AM
How To Install Rigid Foam Insulation on Concrete earthad1 Building & Construction 9 10-26-2010 09:49 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.