Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-08-2013, 12:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

concrete countertops

I want to replace the cheap builder installed Formica countertops and like the look of the concrete. I consider myself to be pretty talented in a lot of areas, and always research and read up on the things I am not too well-versed in. Is this something that I can DIY, and if so, what is entailed? Thanks for your time and consideration. Rob

killermrob83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

concrete countertops

Step by step
http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/how...top/index.html

Bathroom demo started Feb 2013: View my bathroom progression!!!
Trucon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:42 PM   #3
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,086

concrete countertops

Like many DIY skills, the learning curve can be steep. I liken concrete countertops to refinishing a floor. When you see a professional working, it does not necessarily look too difficult. When you try it yourself, you begin to appreciate the skill it takes to work efficiently and effectively. Especially when the floor or countertop does not come out looking the way you hoped. If you decide to build a concrete countertop yourself, make several practice tops you can use in a non-critical setting, maybe outdoors, maybe in a shed. Finishing can be very difficult, especially if you are trying for a particular look.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
retired guy 60 (04-08-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 03:56 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,212

concrete countertops

as dan post'd, the learning curve's initially rather steep & the capital investment not insignificant IF you want a good product,,, conc mix's are avail bagg'd ( rhodes, cheng, doug bannister ) but most pro's have develop'd their own proprietary mix designs,,, there's a c-top institute in nc run by a pe & couple online forums ( concretelocator.com & decorativeconcrete.com/forum ),,, what help you receive depends on how you word stuff,,, respectful & nice returnshelpful posts while annoying provokes other, less cordial, responses expect some artisans to be parochial, protective, & jealous those who they view asinterlopers

to me, big things w/conc c-tops are color, finish, & sealer,,, structural integrity's always an issue 'cause some clients want flying buttress stuff but w/carbon fiber w/w mesh, & chopp'd f/g, , we can just about form anything - GOOD LUCK !
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote